UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Safe to VTEC?

Old 07-16-2002, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to VTEC?

This may sound like a really stupid question but is it safe to VTEC despite the spark plug recall being imminent?

I checked the engine and noticed the VTEC controller to have a yellow paint mark and a few other bolts having yellow, green and red paint marks! Do you guys have the same?

I remember the spark plug recall thread stating that the bolts would have a yellow pen mark signifying the recall had been done? Somebody care to check?
Old 07-16-2002, 02:47 AM

What's the worst that can happen ........!

I'm not concerned for the time being.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:56 AM

Well - our engine could smash to pieces - I think!

Judging by the recall notice on the Honda Japan site - it strongly advises against VTEC as there is a high risk of the plugs coming loose from the vibration at high rpm...

But Dog Biscuit - I know what you mean - I went out to get some petrol last night and told myself "no VTEC" - but what do I do? I VTEC'd on the A4 under the M4 flyover - what a sound!!!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 02:57 AM

I'll have a look at mine Need4Speed...

Whilst we are on the subject of VTEC I've noticed something with my car. My car is VTEC'ing like normal in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, but in 4th and 5th it seems to be much more gentle. I'm sure it's still VTEC'ing but seems less agressive (no kick in the back stuff). I don't know whether this is because I've got more used to it or because by the time I'm changing into 4/5th I'm travelling at quite a far lick.

I've checked the oil quantity and that's fine and nothing else is wrong. I've got 6200 miles on my car and from previous posts it seems the car gets smoother with time. Has anyone else had this? I think it's just me really.

(Perhaps I'll get one of you to come for a ride on Sunday at the mini-meet and see what you think? )

Sorry to hijack your thread Need4
Old 07-16-2002, 03:01 AM

That's cool IJbarratt!

The VTEC surge in 4th and 5th is less dramatic because of the speed you are travelling at....

How much oil have you added since you have had the car? And have you had the oil changed yet?
Old 07-16-2002, 03:22 AM

No not changed the oil yet, but am thinking of maybe changing soon to Mobile 1. Can't decide whether to do it before first service or not.

Don't ask me about how much oil I've added I'm really not the person to ask! I overfilled mine with oil about four weeks ago (thread burried somewhere) by adding 1litre!!!!!!!

Subsequently found out that each X on the stick equates to about 100mls!! My car has been really good though and not used much oil really.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:27 AM

N4S...... I just popped out to the car park to check mine...... there are lots of yellow, green, red and purple dots all over the engine...... very hard to tell what to look for!.

P.S. I see you couldn't resist the A4 flyover blast ;-)
Old 07-16-2002, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by ijbarratt
No not changed the oil yet, but am thinking of maybe changing soon to Mobile 1. Can't decide whether to do it before first service or not.
I'd leave until your first service to change to fully synthetic, as I know my car was still 'drinking' oil up until that point.

I changed to Mobil 1 on the first service and then had an additional oil change at 13,500 miles. Not sure if was just me imagining it, but both times the car felt so much better/smoother after the change.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:33 AM

Thanks LB, mind made up on your excellent advice!

Didn't really want to have to go and get it changed early anyway, and the garage would probably only have gone and changed it again at the service (DOHH!).
Old 07-16-2002, 03:35 AM

Wadswoaj - yup! The VTEC roar under the flyover is amazing! I was racing against my mates MR S - once the VTEC kicks in , it was as if he was going backwards!!!! He loved the VTEC noise!

I also had a short run in with a Subaru Impreza STi! I thought he'd walk right away - but he didn't! He was slowly creeping away but he definitely didn't give me a spanking! Love my lil S!!!!

Oh and I even took the car to the Heathrow tunnel (going towards Terminals 123) - I left it in first and took the car to 7500rpm! Wow! I couldn't stop laughing! Amazing sound! All you could hear was the roar of the VTEC! Cool! Got to find a bigger tunnel!!!!

Leggy Blonde - I think we all will get the dreaded recall letter sooner or later - yup - those funky colours on the bolts confused the hell out of me too! Anyway, I can't resist VTECing!

Quick Reply: Safe to VTEC?