UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Be safe out there

Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happened, Graham?
Old 11-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 14 2005, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a fair bet. Wonder how many will admit to them though.
half

Old 11-15-2005, 01:19 AM

From his description of the accident, it sounds as though lack of attention was as much to blame as the weather.

I was going too fast and not paying enough attention. I drifted towards and bumped the wall to my left that divided the narrow highways.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:30 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The car is fine in the wet.

It's merely the road surface that requires careful reading.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 14 2005, 09:36 PM
What happened, Graham?
Oh nothing serious, just had my first proper unplanned "moment" on a wet & leafy hairpin. Too soon on the gas basically, end whipped out and I was about 6 inches off scraping the front along the armco before I got it straight again and coasted to a stop.

Before that I didn't really appreciate just how little warning one has (my first sideways moment was half deliberate around a roundabout in my first week of ownership, just to see where it would give ).
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 AM
Banned

Yep, even the slightest bit of misplaced aggression on steering or throttle is enough in the wet to cause some rathy nasty repair bills. But once you learn what provokes it you generally don't have any "moments".
Old 11-15-2005, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by baptistsan,Nov 14 2005, 06:05 PM
It brought it home to me once again that this car can bite you.

Take it easy out there people.
Like most vehicles can if not driven according to the conditions.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by grahamb,Nov 15 2005, 10:33 AM
Before that I didn't really appreciate just how little warning one has
One has lots of warning, if one knows how to look for it, and reacts accordingly.

Ride Drive should be anyone's first port of call if they intend to 'make progress' over the winter months.

Unfortunately there are plenty of people here who, through apathy, bravado or misplaced confidence in their own abilities, will do nothing of the sort.

I suspect 'half' is over-estimating the number of people who will admit to any of the above if/when they come (literally) unstuck.

BTW - this isn't aimed at you Graham
Old 11-15-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by MarkB,Nov 15 2005, 11:05 AM
One has lots of warning, if one knows how to look for it, and reacts accordingly.

Ride Drive should be anyone's first port of call if they intend to 'make progress' over the winter months.

Unfortunately there are plenty of people here who, through apathy, bravado or misplaced confidence in their own abilities, will do nothing of the sort.

I suspect 'half' is over-estimating the number of people who will admit to any of the above if/when they come (literally) unstuck.

BTW - this isn't aimed at you Graham
I know it wasn't aimed at me but I'm going to reply anyway

By "warning", I mean straining, slipping etc. I'm not the world's most experienced driver by any stretch, but I have experienced those sensations in cars before when attempting to push it and used them as the indicator to back off (most recently with my mum's CRV after a few months of solely driving the S. Whoops ). There's none of that with the S as far as I can tell (albeit in a couple of really brief scenarios).

I agree that there are plenty of warnings in terms of observing the conditions and feeling what position and stance the car is in before doing something.

Kelk reminded me about sorting out some instruction the other day actually, I must sort that out now I can.

By the way, is Ride Drive the instruction of choice at the moment? I'm aware of them and First Lotus.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:50 AM

The s is fine the wet. When its cold, a bit icy or snow I just would not bother taking it out.
I can remember when I bought my first a MY00, I had it for a couple of months and we had about inch and half of snow. I was going down a hill with parked cars either side about 5mphin second when the rears locked up, I went sideways one way and then the other I then realised it was the braking effect of the gears and dipped the clutch just missing paked cars I then started to pick up speed coz I was freewheeling, luckily I slowed down but i could of twatted four of five cars plus my own. The point is that the car really has zero grip in snow and ice.

Quick Reply: Be safe out there