UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2ki.com seal of approval

Old 11-15-2004, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll chime in too. There seems to be three main point of contention is this debate. Should people who never visit this site be allowed to sell their car for free or not, secondly if this person is made to pay for advertising will this overcome the quality of goods s/he is selling and finally even if they were to pay should this person be allowed to sell their car since they haven't contributed in threads on this forum.

My own thoughts on this one are a mixed one. I think it is wrong personally if a non contributing person (non monetary contribution) visits this site only to advertise the sale of their car. On the other hand I would expect them to sell it on this site because this site is dedicated to the S. I personally would buy goods if they are described well and in my mind I come to the conclusion that the goods are of satisfactory quality.

If we make someone pay for membership so that they can sell a car it will mean nothing about the condition of the car. The goods are the same and just because they have paid doesn't make it better/worse. What do we get from it? Nothing. If someone wants to sell other goods on here and are not paid up members so what? Let them sell the stuff and if someone doesn't mind paying for goods from someone they don't know it makes not one bit of difference. I personally would only buy a car after having checked it out and having spoken to the person. If it turned out that they were knowledgeable about the car, it was in a good condition and felt they had maintained it properly would I be inclined to hand over any cash.

Yes it upsets me sometimes when people come on here who never post anything and their first post is advertising something to sell. But if I find that distasteful I still don't intervene and type abuse at them or tell others not to buy from them. That is for the buyer to decide not the rest of us. This kind of attitude reminds me of the righteous self appointed police officers we see on our roads enforcing speed limits by holding everyone up on motorways. We all here are regular posters but there are many out there who own this car and have no interest to be members of a forum, participate in online discussions or come to meets. Just because they don't do all this doesn't make their car any less valuable as a members car. Therefore even though I am known by a lot you, was selling my car here but hadn't told any of you of problems with it and some of you were to wish me the best would it make my car a good buy?

Is there a solution to all this? Possibly the only thing that might work is to allow only those who have written in at least 30 posts to advertise but I am against this. The only thing which to me makes any sense is to make a sticky for new buyers to be aware of the facts. Live & Let Live
Old 11-15-2004, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by rahula,Nov 15 2004, 03:06 PM
We all here are regular posters but there are many out there who own this car and have no interest to be members of a forum, participate in online discussions or come to meets.
Wierdos (reminiscent of the geek thread )

- nicely put Rahula (the whole post not just the bit quoted )
Old 11-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bloody 'ell I'm knackered reading all this!
Are you lot in management consultancy or something?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:51 AM

I'll chip in 2p.....

Firstly, I think CCs post (asuming it's the Red S/CaughtSpeedingAgain) was overly insular. I feel like part of a community here... not a clan. However, any opinion has to be greeted as just that - opinion .

Secondly, I back the self policing calls really. When someone who has been a member here for years and has plenty to say finally sells up, the car will attract a "premium" as a "known" car and (if you think about it) will most immediately be spotted by other people who have been a member/guest for years and also look at the sight frequently.

IMO, the 0 day-ers will not command this "premium" (or have it discounted) and will most likely be picked up by other people just browsing - as those with many years membership skim straight over it. The 0 day-ers and buyers then become a more or less seperate market than that created by regular members. (As a 'seperate' market, I fail to see it diluting the other one).

Do we want this market? Different question.

Does that make any sense?

As for the "selling a 5 figure car and not paying $20 to do it/tightwad" comments, I agree - but that is an entirely different issue
Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=S2000 SM,Nov 15 2004, 02:51 PM] I'll chip in 2p.....

Firstly, I think CCs post (asuming it's the Red S/CaughtSpeedingAgain) was overly insular.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:05 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Al2,Nov 15 2004, 02:50 PM
Are you lot in management consultancy or something?
or something

Vixen is a major league IT geek though

I think self policing is the way to look at this problem.

I do however think there should be a drive for membership as well, but that's a whole different thread.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by RichUK,Nov 15 2004, 04:05 PM
Vixen is a major league IT geek though
Oi watch it Beaky
Old 11-15-2004, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper,Nov 15 2004, 03:00 PM
It got this thread going again. We were well overdue. The site stagnates. So we may as well have the same arguments as we've had before.

View it as a sprinkle of jalepeno on magherita pizza.

But I accept, 0 day CSA got the rough end. He should've spent more time on here before placing the ad.....and so the cycle continues....
Fair enough mate

btw... last Thursday of each month is good for me. Will iDLe be along, or will a village not be able to spare it's idiot on such a regular basis?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:23 AM

Uh oh

We def need a spoon smilie on this site (for stirring if no one gets me )
Old 11-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by S2000 SM,Nov 15 2004, 03:12 PM
Fair enough mate

btw... last Thursday of each month is good for me. Will iDLe be along, or will a village not be able to spare it's idiot on such a regular basis?

Quick Reply: S2ki.com seal of approval