UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2k Replacement .........

Old 07-21-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clio 182 ok it's crap build but fun
Or as already mentioned the Seat Leon Cupra, crap dealers but enjoyable FWD car. Well about as good as it gets
Old 07-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Cooper S got done round the track by Jeremy in a Diesel Skoda

I'd look at Golfs - can get a X plate 3 door 1.8 Turbo with full leather Reacaro's, climate and other toys with about 40K miles for under 10K!

Or was it just a Cooper? Either way they suck
Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM

It was "just" a Cooper but I don't agree that they suck - we had the Cooper S for an extended test drive and it was great fun, quick and very chuckable.

I'm trying to pursuade Mrs B to chop the Bora in for one - it'll be a good alternative for the wet weekends.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with idle if U want VFM, a boot and reliability can't go far wrong with a golf - 1.8T GTI as beater? R32 as replacement!
Old 07-21-2004, 12:15 PM

Be careful not to downgrade too much, did this myself when I brought a VW Golf GT TDI (130). The novelty of cheap motoring was great at first, but it wore off fairly quickly. I think I managed 9 months
Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've been considering replacing my S2000 for a while. Not because it isn't suitable as a daily drive (because for me it is) but because I'd like something with some performance and style that I can also fit the family in. I used to have another car like you for driving to work, but the costs became silly. The S2000 is pretty cheap to run and I don't commute far. I do have the luxury still of using my wife's Accord should I need to lug something around. Mind you I did have 5 bags of limestone in the boot of the S2000 the other week and it was amazing. I hardly noticed it was there.

I started with considering the RX-8. More practical than the S2000, reasonably good looks / performance but ultimately something missing for me. I'm not keen on the low mpg or oil use either.

A few cars I've got comments on:

Civic type-R. Never liked the inside and cannot decide if I like or dislike the looks. But the drive is great. But double buggy in the boot? No chance.

Mini Cooper S. My brother in law has the standard Cooper. It is a real hoot but totally flawed. Barely more practical than the S2000 and worse ride quality. Also has had a few quality issues. The windscreen cracked all by itself, twice. Apparently there was an issue with this on early cars.
On the good side it has good residuals and a great servicing deal. Iffy price and quality though.

Golf V6 4 Motion. Not as hardcore as the R32. Great traction and engine. Better ride than the old VR6. Low mpg.
Father in law had 2 VR6s. First one had water leaks, then a transmission problem. Second one had water leaks and other niggles. Then he bought a V6 4Motion. Guess what. Still had water leaks, this time also had a very serious ABS issue (brake hard and the brakes released totally : months at dealer getting nowhere). Also had a bad voltage regulator which caused the battery to explode (whilst he was looking under the bonnet).
So amazingly he buys another V6 4Motion which he has had about 3 months and..... no water leak this time but complete failure of the air conditioning. Golfs, reliable? Hmmm.

Audi S3. A work colleague of mine has just bought a second hand S3. I've yet to see it. He tried an S2000, CTR, TT and ended up with the S3 because he didn't need the outright performance of the S2000, he couldn't fit in the TT comfortably, he liked the CTR but being an Audi owner, he was swayed by the S3. I guess as it is a Golf underneath it is pretty good to drive, and hopefully Audi can do better than VW in the reliabilty stakes.

Cupra-R. Not driven it. 2 at work. Both happy with the car. Looks fat to my eyes...

Lotus Elise. Only kidding. Makes you realise just how good the S2000 is as a daily drive.

What about a second hand Accord-R? Really good value, cheap to run and reasonably quick. Not the prettiest car ever made but there are some nice examples in black....

Top of my list?
Another S2000 and I'll just have to do days out in the hum drum 5dr Accord. (If only the Accord-R had 5 doors...) Roll on the new Accord-R tourer....

Old 07-22-2004, 07:05 AM

Leon Cupra R, I only hear good things about them. Although I think underneath they share the same platform as the Golf, S3 etc.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:32 AM

I have driven the Leon Cupra R on several occasions, a good friend of mine has one has his company car. It handles really well, and pulls like a steam train. I think there is a statistic somewhere that states it can do 100-0 quicker than a murcielago!

The only downside is the build quality, it's definately not up there with the VW and Audi. If you drive it hard it eats front tyres too! I think my friend had the lease company on the phone when he had his 3rd pair of tyres in 25,000 miles!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 AM

yep the Audi 3 / Golf / Leon

are all the same car with the same parts so one shouldn't be any more/less reliable than the other! Only the attitudes of the dealers!

new leon's look pretty good and are cheap, but if you can bear the brand
try a Skoda, again the same car, very quick and cheap....
Old 07-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Do not buy a MINI!!!!

I had a copper S on order, I rejected it on delivery. The factory managed to fit a bright blue interior into a BRG car. Small mistake it was supposed to a black half leather interior! The initial offer by the dealer and Mini was for me to pay the difference on the new model year and come back in September! One and a half hours of latter the offer was improved to, no extra to pay and the possibility of an earlier build date but no promise! Oh yeah and during that time I could walk everywhere, there was no way they would lend me a car! I know, I could have taken them to the cleaners but in the end I just wanted to ensure that not one penny of my hard earned went to these people! Customer Service, they don't know the meaning of the words!
Being honest I am so happy it turned out like this, the Mini is utter crap when compared to the S2! I only bought the Mini as I thought it made the best compromise, with cheap servicing and good residuals! Never again I've gone back to letting my heart decide my cars!

derrick

Quick Reply: S2k Replacement .........