UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2k Replacement .........

Old 07-21-2004, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k Replacement .........

At the moment am toying with the idea (just toying mind) of replacing the S with something a bit more everyday and practical.

Dont get me wrong, I love the S,
and I would be sad to see it go but I do have my reasons:

1. The car is getting on for its 3rd birthday soon -more chance of mechanical faults creeping in , unless I pay for extended warranty (which just adds to the costs).
2. At the mo, am running a beater for the daily commute. For me, I dont see the S as a 100 % daily commute car, so the beater is handy for commuting and when I need more than 2 seats or need to take a trip to the dumps.
Dont get me wrong, the S does also see a lot of action, maybe 6k per year. (just not on a daily basis) - The beater kind of pays for itself though.

A more practical car would allow me to replace 2 cars with 1.

The bottom line is Im just wanting cut down on my motoring costs, so Ive got more cash for living costs!!

Anyway, any suggestions for a potential replacement?
I was thinking about the new Cooper S (recently upgraded to 170bhp).
Once specced up with the Chilli pack + metallic paint etc comes in at a fraction over
Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 AM

I appreciate the dilema with the warranty being up, i too have thought about this as my car has needed a new roof, ECU, and gearbox in just two years. I wouldnt fancy footing the bill myself.... however.

PLEASE.

dont buy a mini.

R.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:44 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

"Alternatively, I could go completely the other way and spend 6k, say , on a nearly new Clio (or something similar). Alright, boring, but dirt cheap to run and maybe
Old 07-21-2004, 06:45 AM

.. or a clio 182 and 6k in ya pocket ? :-/

Test drove the cooperS last year.. was a real hoot! but it's 17k!!! 0r 14.5 used..

GF has a cooper... but! 3 full Tesco bags and the boots full!
Old 07-21-2004, 06:52 AM

Cooper is great to drive, but as falmeop says it has no boot at all, if you wnat to but a suitcase in it it becomes a two seater
Old 07-21-2004, 06:53 AM

Not too sold on Clio 182's...
Renault's dont really do it for me.!

Yes, I know! I did mention one in my post earlier , but that was if I was just after a slow runaround..!

Ideally I'd like something quite zippy well built, and (relatively) cheap to run thats why the Cooper S came into consideration, and beyond that its hard to think what else.

I dont really fancy the CTR, as Im really not sold on the looks, (plus I had the Integra Type R for 4 years prior to my S - blinding car btw), so not really after another Type R.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Ah, I know what you mean about the CTR!

Actually, if you want a POS and loved the Teg, what about an old Civic VTi? Virtually the same car, but softer (ish), reliable and not too expensive.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:57 AM

tdi seat cupra?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:59 AM

I had a drive in a Cooper S a guy at work had blagged for a test drive. I was expecting great things, but was very dissapointed. The boot space and back seats are smaller than I expected. The seating is high up and upright, and the seats themselves weren't good. The dash is good to look at, but poor to use. Performance is less than I thought, or felt less, due to the poor noise making abilities.

There are better and more suitable cars for the money.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:00 AM

seat leon cupra r or golf vr32

Quick Reply: S2k Replacement .........