UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2K humbles S1 Elise

Old 07-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K humbles S1 Elise

I've seen the guy bombing about the last few weeks and decided I'd see how quick he really was. I was leaving a 30 zone and watched him enter the NSL road ahead of me and plant it. I did likewise, and reeled him in no problem.

Once I'd caught up we met traffic, so when the road was clear he went for it and overtook as did I. I had to feather the throttle for fear of ramming up his jacksie towards the end of 3rd gear, as he clearly didn't have the power to pull away from me. He then backed off, and there was little point in hammering past as there were road works ahead.

It's nice when you see how much faster your car is than cars which you always think to yourself are untouchable. Like New shape STI's, Elise's and VX220's. You just imagine they're too quick for you, and you tend to forget you're driving a bit of an automotive legend yourself.

Cheered me up a wee bit this afternoon.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:59 AM

Hehe - I like this

I had a blat with an SL500 and the guy was completely dumbfounded why I could keep up with his oh so expensive Merc. Same with that SC Lexus thing - guy nearly killed himself and five other drivers just trying to get level with me after a sequence of roundabouts. Cut me up and then slammed on the anchors, then speed off! WTF!

There are some fast cars out here but they don't know how to drive them round corners. All big engines and auto boxes.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:40 AM

Excellent
Old 07-23-2005, 09:24 AM

Next time try it against a S2 111s/r or a VXT
Old 07-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Steve. just so happens to day down a 9 mile straight road i played with one. The pulls away for the 111s slowly until you get to the higher speed then i was leaving it. made smile and when we got to the traffic lights he gave me the
Old 07-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Asterix,Jul 23 2005, 12:59 PM

There are some fast cars out here but they don't know how to drive them round corners. All big engines and auto boxes.
Tis the same here, but you have to remember you can't drive them fast through corners, not that you don't know how to. I should know - I own one. The Daimler, I mean.

It can be a strange experience driving a big, powerful saloon. I have no problem being overtaken, on corners or anywhere else, but I have a big problem with cars that hold me up - especially if they have previously overtaken me.

This seems to be quite common with hot hatches, who will whizz through a roundabout and then get aggrieved that I want to pass well in excess of the limit. Whether this is frustration at not being prepared to risk their licence, or annoyance at being overtaken by what they perceive as an old heap, I couldn't say. Golf GTi owners seem to be the worst offenders for some reason.

Whilst I can't compete in the twisties (although it can be hustled along surprisingly quickly if you have the nerve) it will blow most things away on any kind of straight from 80 upwards. So given the mixed, congested roads around here, the old bus is pretty much up there with the sports cars, point to point.

Old 07-23-2005, 11:16 AM

s1 elise is like 110bhp is'nt it. Only quicker in the corners.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:16 AM

I agree with your sentiments but I'm talking about SLs, 911s that never leave tiptronic auto mode, new corvettes, 645s (a personal favourite to embarrass)

These cars can go round corners with the correct upgrade added - a driver.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Asterix,Jul 23 2005, 07:16 PM
I agree with your sentiments but I'm talking about SLs, 911s that never leave tiptronic auto mode, new corvettes, 645s (a personal favourite to embarrass)

These cars can go round corners with the correct upgrade added - a driver.
couldn't agree more

but that Lexus doesn't belong in the above list
Old 07-23-2005, 11:44 AM

You're dead right. That was sort of my point. The guy was a mentalist if he thought he'd even have a chance

Quick Reply: S2K humbles S1 Elise