UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-15-2008 | 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by GeeUK,Jan 15 2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The comments like 'dont get an S2000, wish I'd bought a Glanza' comments don't really help thou.

I bought the Glanza because it was cheap, low cost on fuel due to the displacement and easy to extract power as it is turbocharged and was light. Plus I was even younger at the time, so insurance costs were even higher than they will be now. Surely you can understand this?

I am 24 now, and wont be purchasing another car atleast until I have turned 25 which is in July for insurance purposes.

I have thought of an Evo, but crank walk, maintainance, petrol consumption and insurance costs puts me off. I'm no high flyer, but I am a car enthusiast. From my research so far and Best Motoring video's (LOL) and the tuning potential of bolting on turbo due to the forged internals points me towards the S2000.

Plus it is a really nice looking example, drops its top, handles great and is a drivers car.

EDIT - For the person that asked, I live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Its all well and good advising speed is not everything, but we love it and most people mod the car's not just for handeling or looks, but to gain more HP and torque also.

There are other 'drivers' cars out there that handle incredible, but are slower than S2000's, why not drive these? Such as the MX-5....
I do, up to a point; but a FWD B-segment Toyota with a big puffer seems neither fast nor fun to me. B-segment fun is usually related to handling, as with the old Peugeots et al.

But the S2000 is, like most roadsters, not about actual speed either; it's about handling and its very special character. Like an Integra, with wind in the hair attributes.

You'd be better off looking for a good 'Teg, if that's what you want.

Old 01-15-2008 | 06:17 AM

My S2K feels slow, but then i did go from a 450+ Bhp RX7 to the S2K!

But i still do find it a slow car, i think its the lack of torque that makes it feel slow though, each to there own.
Old 01-15-2008 | 06:51 AM

Red face

What other car offers the same as the 'S', I looked for a long time as wanted something drop top and Fun, quick and good looking however was still economical within reason ie able to get 28mpg+ out of it.
There are the obvious contenders such as the Elise but it has no boot .... TVR unreliable and very thirsty .... MX5... hmmm would I ever want to be seen dead in one of those , Z4.... Its a BMW reps car ..... Porsche Boxter again big engine and well isn't it a poor mans Porsche ????

Then what else is out there that is a 2 seater drop top sports car???

Honda S2000, boot big enough for long weekend, electric roof, fast, economical, looks good, wont go wrong......................etc....

Don't think there is anything else that can quite compete in the same league!!!!!

Thats just my point of view..........

Old 01-15-2008 | 07:27 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

I always question the "won't go wrong" thing.

Least reliable Jap car I have had, but still all minor stuff.

Before I get accused of being negative - it's jsut a fact and no need to get defensive, I still love it
Old 01-15-2008 | 07:46 AM

Nick,

I do not want an Integra.

It is not as powerful as an S2000
It is not a convertible.
It is FWD. I want either AWD or RWD.

In regards to speed and fun, it really depends on what the individual defines this as.

I know this is a S2000 enthusiast forum, but asleast some people on here can acknowledge what the car lacks and what it may not do so well.

Just to clear it it up...I never said S2000's were slow, it is what I have read from other owners on here, so I wanted to find out compared to what.
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:08 AM

Stock, they are slow compared to the 360/911 type cars.
M3's will toast you.

The lastest gen of hot hatches will keep up.

Seems to hold it's own compared to (stock) MR2 turbo, 200sx type cars.

Once you breathe on them and make sure the chassis is sorted, they will supprise a LOT more exotic machinery. If that's your bag (it's not mine, but I felt it needed more poke and I wanted a supercharged car, and thought a DIY install would teach me a lot).

Mine is only a low state of tune, but 375bhp gives 300bhp/tonne .. which is GT3 RS / 997 Turbo / F360 territory.
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:25 AM
MIP

Compared to the 2.0 Celica GT I drove before, the s2000 is a frickin supercar. I loved my celica, some great fun had around Nur with that thing, but the s obliterates it in every respect.

Compared to the skyline GTS I had a quick go in a while ago, the s2000 hasn't got that torquey shove when the turbo spools, I guess the skyline would be quicker on a 1/4 mile, but the skyline was very detached, not a great gearbox, not very connected steering at all, not as fun.
Old 01-15-2008 | 08:36 AM

short of a 'teg or CTR, then there isnt a faster honda. NSX is quick, but unless your buying old then your gonna save alot by going with S2k.

CTR (atleast the slightly older 2002 model) was far too happy wheelspin on exits which really let things down for me and im a firm believer that 200bhp or more, and it's gonna need to be RWD, otherwise it's simply wasted with full throttle takeoffs. (which is why i opted for an S)

scoobie and evo would give far too much of the wrong attention, what with me parking it on the street. euro-box's are just crap anyway.

i think the biggest problem people have is FEELING the power.
give any other fast car a poke, and you get a fair bit of torque to pull you away. honda pertrol's never have torque which is what makes a car feel quick.
Old 01-15-2008 | 09:12 AM

No, that's fine; so long as you're clear about the difference before you buy it, it's unbeatable for what it is.

I think there's a lot of people very disappointed that their S2000 got burned up by a TeDIous Golf off a wet roundabout or something, and grimble about it.

It will be, unless you're a very good driver, so you don't park it backwards in a hedge.

To up your level of driving ability to cope with the car is one of its challenges and rewards. One comes out a better driver (or not!).

But standards have moved on and there's a lot of grey porridge hatchbacks that are hard to lose, if they start to play games. That's the reality of it and a lot of owners may want an easier life that heel & toing & redlining it all the time.

Certainly an Imprevo's a lot easier to go very quick in, without much effort. It's a very different kettle of chips.

I think if you drive both types back to back, you'll probably want both.

Old 01-15-2008 | 09:19 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by MB,Jan 15 2008, 04:27 PM
I always question the "won't go wrong" thing.

Least reliable Jap car I have had, but still all minor stuff.
That's because you never kept the others for more than a week.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...