UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-15-2008 | 03:13 AM

S2000 slow??? nah.... a 911 tried to overtake me on M3 motorway in the middle lane last week, dont stand a chance Eat my dust!!!

I bet he was amazed my cheap honda out performed his brand new poker!!!
Old 01-15-2008 | 03:42 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 15 2008, 12:12 PM
I live in Hertfordshire:

If that were the case, german plod would have speed traps aimed at the vast array of wagons & caravans & MPVs & SUVs queueing all around the ring, because someone had coned off the exit for ten years, 'cause they felt it was good character-building.

Oh, and they'd re-surface the 'Ring in 100yd streches & not join them to the other 100 yd streches, so a GT3 doing more than 30 would lose its front axle.

As the Chinese guy said, "I've had enough of this Fukien Province!"
True true.

But if driving quickly on public roads is a no go, then the only place you can is on a track So my example is valid
Old 01-15-2008 | 03:45 AM

I must admit that I bought an S not for the speed thing. I mean at the end of the day if you are caught doing over 100mph on a public road it's an instant ban, points on your driving licence and probably the loading on your insurance premium will mean selling the S anyway.

I bought the car for the overall package, engine, reliability, cost, convertible, looks, good boot space for a car like this....... and the colour (I know but I am in touch with my feminine side ).

To me buying a car just because it's fast and you want something faster than your last car is a bit narrow sighted. You need to be able to enjoy driving it in all conditions, and the S does that... Well for me anyway.

Get a test drive or perhaps pop along to a local S meet and go out with someone then make your own mind up. Everyone wants something different out of a car, and you are no different.

Ask anyone on here and most if not all will say it's a fantastic car, with some limitations, but are willing to overlook them.
Old 01-15-2008 | 03:45 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

PS the A414 towards Hatfield was always quite fun when empty.
Old 01-15-2008 | 03:51 AM

For me the S is fast "for what it is" - by that i mean engine wise etc.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:01 AM

I don't take mine on a track, so fast simply means I can have a bit of fun on the public road without going stupid. To that end, the S2000 is perfectly quick enough, and a car with a fractionally quicker acceleration time is neither here nor there.

It's easy to say that the S2000 isn't quick, or isn't powerful, but that's in comparison to some serious bits of kit. Taken against what the vast majority of people buy, even hot hatches, it is quick and it is powerful.

I know some people here have had the likes of Evos before. Well I haven't, and to be honest don't want to. For me, the S2000 is plenty quick enough and plenty powerful enough. I'm not Michael Schumacher, I'm simply not good enough to safely get loads out of a really fast car on a public road, and to do so would be silly anyway.

So it's perspective. If I talk to my friend in his Mondeo diesel, the S2000 is super-fast, super-powerful and a complete beast. If I talk to another friend of mine who has had Ferraris, 911s and a couple of Evos, it's pretty slow.
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:32 AM

If Honda wanted to make the S2000 a rocket ship they'd have put a massive turbo lump init, they didn't.

It ####s me off how people only care how much power a car has got and how fast it is in a straightline.

Give my granny a tuned supra and she can go fast in a straightline all day long.

You either get the S2000 or you don't.

imho
Old 01-15-2008 | 04:37 AM
ge2

It's more than fast enough to be fun, it's a road car not a race car.

Times and figures compared to others are meaningless unless you're a pub boasting, traffic light racing pillock
Old 01-15-2008 | 05:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The comments like 'dont get an S2000, wish I'd bought a Glanza' comments don't really help thou.

I bought the Glanza because it was cheap, low cost on fuel due to the displacement and easy to extract power as it is turbocharged and was light. Plus I was even younger at the time, so insurance costs were even higher than they will be now. Surely you can understand this?

I am 24 now, and wont be purchasing another car atleast until I have turned 25 which is in July for insurance purposes.

I have thought of an Evo, but crank walk, maintainance, petrol consumption and insurance costs puts me off. I'm no high flyer, but I am a car enthusiast. From my research so far and Best Motoring video's (LOL) and the tuning potential of bolting on turbo due to the forged internals points me towards the S2000.

Plus it is a really nice looking example, drops its top, handles great and is a drivers car.

EDIT - For the person that asked, I live in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Its all well and good advising speed is not everything, but we love it and most people mod the car's not just for handeling or looks, but to gain more HP and torque also.

There are other 'drivers' cars out there that handle incredible, but are slower than S2000's, why not drive these? Such as the MX-5....
Old 01-15-2008 | 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by MB,Jan 15 2008, 12:42 PM
True true.

But if driving quickly on public roads is a no go, then the only place you can is on a track So my example is valid

Oh yes, there are still a few stretches. It's just the emptiness thing that rarely happens. The over-population thing really has become noticeable 'round here.

I know what you mean though. If they hadn't closed my local track (noise) I'd be inclined to agree.

Fact is, the S2000 is (apart from an Elise) just about the most fun thing there is on back roads and really doesn't need to be faster.

There are other parts of the country where that probably isn't true.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...