UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-16-2008 | 02:15 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 16 2008, 07:02 PM
That is so true.

It amuses me, this that there'll be all those early adopters with their V8 Aldi R8s, who suddenly discover there's a V10 out there and they'll all be so outdone they'll be gnashing the carpet in a sort of imitation of their cars' expressions!

Basically, if you can't afford a Veyron, get over it.

If you can afford one, ask yourself why do you want to own it?
That's why Aldi is producing a diesel version, to make the V8 owners feel superior to someone (even if the R8 is as good as all the journos say it is - actually, nothing's that good)
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:13 PM

Interesting topic this.

Just one hting - The Nurburgring can FECK RIGHT OFF!

It is the most silly comparison to make as:

a) No one on here is a Honda/Nissan/Toyota/Ferrari test driver
b) No one on here has done 10000 laps of the B5010
c) There are no Tractors/push bikes/lorries on the 'Ring'

I currently drive an EG Civic which I basically have turned into a nutter mobile.

I took the car completely to pieces, and changed every single moving part (Bar the steering rack) for a new/upgraded item. Changing a front wheel bearing WITHOUT a press isn't a lot of fun!

So at the moment its about 900kg and 210bhp N/A, has all the braces, coilovers big brakes yada yada yada. I even made my own engine map for me ECU

I live in Weston, near Crewe, and its pretty quiet if you avoid the M6 and A500. Some great roads too!

I have gotten to a point where I have found my Civic plenty fast enough.

And seriously, it is.

Anyone who says that they think they need more power from their 500bhp Evo is talking bullshit.

Not unless you are one of those Cock Jockeys who think driving on an M road at 180mph is skillful!

On the UK road, you really DON'T need it.

On a racetrack, too much power is just enough, but then how many people can actually afford to do 5000 racetrack miles per year?

My Girlfriend has an MR2 Roadster (Mk3).

Its mid engined nimbleness, hood down experience, and LACK of power make it totally wonderful to drive.

You really have to engage driving it! Overtaking becomes something you must be planning, and starting before the car on the other side of the road has passed.

I looked at getting one and dropping a 2ZZE in to it, but:

a) I need a break from that engine swapping stuff
b) It's not a Honda
c) I have wanted an S2K for years

With the addition of a new VAG Derv TDi beater - now is the time.

Any real driving enthusast knows that the only statistics that count for your car is how wide a grin it gives you.

Everyone else, isn't a driving enthusiast.

And besides, if you want to go fast in a straight line, buy a bloody Motorbike.

GSX-R 1000
~
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:24 PM

Nicley put
Old 01-17-2008 | 02:25 PM
MB
Member (Premium)

As I have said 3 times now, I mentioned Ring times as the post is about whether the car is slow or not. It's such a long track and varies so much that it should show the wheat from the chaff. Not "silly" in my view.

It's a diffucly question, so when asked is it fast comapred to x / y / z then I think it works.

Nowhere did I claim I or anyone else was a racing driver.

So...

a) Yes we know - the question was about the car not the driver

b) Exactly hence I used an example which is tried and tested and close to country road conditions

c) You would be surprised!

Car sounds nice though - good work
Old 01-18-2008 | 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by B B,Jan 16 2008, 10:54 AM
It looks fabulous, yes even when the hood is up, for from the rear and in BB it looks so mean.
Most of all is the fact that it is a rare sight on the roads and I just love sitting in something different that ALWAYS cause people to look twice. On more than one occasion in the last year somebody has gone out of their way to ask about the car and make complimentary remarks about it. If that makes me more a poseur than proud owner then I couldn't care a toss.
I have to agree. I loved pretty much everything about my S, but my proudest (although slightly embarassing) moment was pulling onto the Eurotunnel one sunny June day and have a crowd of people gather around the car asking questions and asking to sit in it. You'd have never got that from a Boxster! And certainly not from the ASBO I'm driving now!

I doubt even you'd get it from a Lambo or Ferrari as people would automatically think you're a c*ck!

Point is, for me anyway, and let's face it, it's always a subjective topic anyway - I love the S for the way it drives, but I also love cars that are individual and the sheer fact that you barely ever see another S is enough to do that in spades!

Can't wait to get another!
Old 01-18-2008 | 02:28 AM

Has any one else noticed how bad the spelling is getting on the posts recently.

This forum used to have standards that put it above the Chav forums!
Old 01-18-2008 | 03:49 AM

[QUOTE=Hypersonik,Jan 17 2008, 11:13 PM] Interesting topic this.

Just one hting - The Nurburgring can FECK RIGHT OFF!

It is the most silly comparison to make as:

a) No one on here is a Honda/Nissan/Toyota/Ferrari test driver
b) No one on here has done 10000 laps of the B5010
c) There are no Tractors/push bikes/lorries on the 'Ring'

I currently drive an EG Civic which I basically have turned into a nutter mobile.

I took the car completely to pieces, and changed every single moving part (Bar the steering rack) for a new/upgraded item. Changing a front wheel bearing WITHOUT a press isn't a lot of fun!

So at the moment its about 900kg and 210bhp N/A, has all the braces, coilovers big brakes yada yada yada. I even made my own engine map for me ECU

I live in Weston, near Crewe, and its pretty quiet if you avoid the M6 and A500. Some great roads too!

I have gotten to a point where I have found my Civic plenty fast enough.

And seriously, it is.

Anyone who says that they think they need more power from their 500bhp Evo is talking bullshit.

Not unless you are one of those Cock Jockeys who think driving on an M road at 180mph is skillful!

On the UK road, you really DON'T need it.

On a racetrack, too much power is just enough, but then how many people can actually afford to do 5000 racetrack miles per year?

My Girlfriend has an MR2 Roadster (Mk3).

Its mid engined nimbleness, hood down experience, and LACK of power make it totally wonderful to drive.

You really have to engage driving it! Overtaking becomes something you must be planning, and starting before the car on the other side of the road has passed.

I looked at getting one and dropping a 2ZZE in to it, but:

a) I need a break from that engine swapping stuff
b) It's not a Honda
c) I have wanted an S2K for years

With the addition of a new VAG Derv TDi beater - now is the time.

Any real driving enthusast knows that the only statistics that count for your car is how wide a grin it gives you.

Everyone else, isn't a driving enthusiast.

And besides, if you want to go fast in a straight line, buy a bloody Motorbike.

GSX-R 1000
~
Old 01-18-2008 | 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by muttly,Jan 18 2008, 11:28 AM
Has any one else noticed how bad the spelling is getting on the posts recently.
"Anyone" - one word.

HTH.
Old 01-18-2008 | 04:07 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

Old 01-18-2008 | 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dembo,Jan 18 2008, 12:51 PM
"Anyone" - one word.

HTH.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...