UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-16-2008 | 02:24 AM

Thing is, around London, a Brabus Smart will probably leave these 500BHP monsters for dead off the line.

I look forward to trying the Acura GT5000 but would I p/x an NSX for one?
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:37 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 16 2008, 11:07 AM
LG's right again;

I'm not sure how these CAFE-style arrangements work (can Honda include quad bikes & SuperCubs?) such that a Bugatti is made by the same company as the A-segment VW bubblecar thingy.

Kind of means that the independent manufacurer is dead.

It sort of makes one feel the Germans might be all out to produce all the BHP now, whilst they still can.

Nah, the German Motor industry is too important to Europe; more so than a bunch of ex-humanities students bumming 'round in Brussels parliament buildings.

I know who to bet on!
I know that they did manage to negotiate a change in the EU proposal giving them more time/a higher target.

I'm sure the small manufacturers will be excluded from this, it might hurt companies like Lotus though...
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jan 16 2008, 11:37 AM
I'm sure the small manufacturers will be excluded from this, it might hurt companies like Lotus though...
Prob a limit of 1000 car per year.

I can see this meaning Porsche will splitt into multi companies.

997 GT3 RS Ltd
997 GT3 Ltd
997 GT2 Ltd
997 Carrera 2 S Blue Cream Interior Ltd ..
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:51 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by trinis2001,Jan 16 2008, 11:17 AM
This is why I was referring to thw "NEW" versions of these cars to come out. 450hp - 550hp on the cars I mentioned. No pretense of 280hp here.

NSX last officially clocked at 290hp.
Fair point.

I think we'll see big power for Japanese 'sporting cars', the Japanese only using it where appropriate, being sensible folk in the main. It's more the mega powered 5-7 Beemers and E/S class Mercs where such huge power is pointless - these things are not used for 'sporting purposes' where as the high powered Jap cars might well be.

I can't see Lexus producing a LS competitor to the M5 or a 6.3S for example. I could well be wrong though! You have the LS600 with 439bhp as the top model, versus various S-Klass models with over 500 or even over 600bhp.
Old 01-16-2008 | 02:58 AM

To be fair though, those cars aren't bought for performance.

The AMG twin-turbo things are bought by people with a lot of money, because they can. The suspension must be so stiff etc, they're not gonna be good family cars, as such. They just want something 'exclusive'. Like Burberry was. It's all a bit nouveau, for the most part.

They sell in penny numbers, too.

So I don't see any harm in them, so long as they still make the 220 Diesel for Otto Normalburger, as the Germans call T C Mits.
Old 01-16-2008 | 03:17 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jan 16 2008, 11:58 AM
To be fair though, those cars aren't bought for performance.

The AMG twin-turbo things are bought by people with a lot of money, because they can. The suspension must be so stiff etc, they're not gonna be good family cars, as such. They just want something 'exclusive'. Like Burberry was. It's all a bit nouveau, for the most part.

They sell in penny numbers, too.

So I don't see any harm in them, so long as they still make the 220 Diesel for Otto Normalburger, as the Germans call T C Mits.
As usual, Nick is right.

I suppose the reason the Japs don't produce such cars is because the people who might buy them won't go near anything Japanese, even if it is better, the NSX being a case in point, albeit in a different market segment but one where similar rules apply.

I'm glad Merc make the AMG SL, as it makes such a lovely noise...
Old 01-16-2008 | 04:20 AM

Well, in fact they are!

See the thread about the Lexus LFA; the Acura GT5000 is projected to be $100K vehicle.

Most new millionaires will be American, Russian & Chinese and they're far less sniffy about Japanese brands (and in the case of the yanks, far more candid about Krautwagens' shit quality).

Aldi sales were up 25% in China last year. And that's the real reason (there's no polite way of putting this!) they're meant to look like Burt Kwouk as Cato.

Sniffy EU will probably become only slightly more wealthy due to the amount of pen-pushers and anti-competitive legislation, so they will continue to buy their own snob brands.
Old 01-16-2008 | 09:54 AM
B B

Reading all the postings is like having a cracking good petrol heads chin-wag in the local - brilliant. The beers are on me folks.

For me much of the joy of owning the S2000 is that I have always wanted to own one and never thought I would be able to. It looks fabulous, yes even when the hood is up, for from the rear and in BB it looks so mean.
Most of all is the fact that it is a rare sight on the roads and I just love sitting in something different that ALWAYS cause people to look twice. On more than one occasion in the last year somebody has gone out of their way to ask about the car and make complimentary remarks about it. If that makes me more a poseur than proud owner then I couldn't care a toss.

If you constantly compare there will always be that you perceive to be superior.
For most sensible safe driving situations, given the acquired skills to access it & to bear witness & drive according to its weaknesses, it has all the power neccessary.
With nothing to prove and no ego to stroke I'm content to let others make arses of themselves as they strive to compensate for their insecurities.

Old 01-16-2008 | 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by B B,Jan 16 2008, 06:54 PM
...If you constantly compare there will always be that you perceive to be superior.
For most sensible safe driving situations, given the acquired skills to access it & to bear witness & drive according to its weaknesses, it has all the power neccessary.
With nothing to prove and no ego to stroke I'm content to let others make arses of themselves as they strive to compensate for their insecurities...
That is so true.

It amuses me, this that there'll be all those early adopters with their V8 Aldi R8s, who suddenly discover there's a V10 out there and they'll all be so outdone they'll be gnashing the carpet in a sort of imitation of their cars' expressions!

Basically, if you can't afford a Veyron, get over it.

If you can afford one, ask yourself why do you want to own it?
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:26 PM

I concur with many of the people above wrt power/handling and just general all-round proficiency.

Here's the defining point for me though. Can i prove that i can use, control and place every single ounce of power my car pushes out.

Here is the problem, even if i could pin-point a method of demonstrating it - perhaps track time is the best.. i just don't think i could accomodate every last ounce of power. And really, shouldn't i be able to do that in stock form - without modifications.

I think most of us on here probably have friends with more powerful, more focussed or whatever (you know where i'm going) who quote power figures, have spent a fair wad of cash and constantly leer that i drive a 2 litre convertible. But there isn't a day they come back and complain about a lack of traction, or a map that's good, but needs a new this or a new that - even after they've spent plenty.

I'm happy with my s, and although i might want this tweak or that tweak - mods aside, i still love the car.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...