UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-15-2008 | 03:06 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by GeeUK,Jan 15 2008, 01:01 AM
Another thing thou, these cars are Roadsters. But I HATE the rag tops. No disrespect, but the cloth roof spoils any car for me, so I would HAVE to have a hard top. I knwo one the main selling points is driving with the roof down, but this would be on very, very rare occassions for me. The looks so much better as a hardtop.
I totally agree with you, the S2000 looks awful with the soft-top up. It looks great with the roof down and even better with the hardtop on.

When I first test drove the S2000 it was a convertible and I will admit that top-down driving was fun but I reckon I would get bored with it quite quickly and it wouldn't have a long-term appeal with me. Once the top was up it just was not right for me. I was a bit disappointed. The next test drive was a GT and within 5 minutes of driving the car everything felt perfect. More space, better visibility and not as noisey...just perfect for a daily driver.

The only time my hardtop is coming off will be 3 months before the warranty expires to check that the mechanism still works. For me the S2000 is more than just a convertible.

Originally Posted by Bramblecat,Jan 15 2008, 04:45 AM
I mean at the end of the day if you are caught doing over 100mph on a public road it's an instant ban, points on your driving licence and probably the loading on your insurance premium will mean selling the S anyway.
Too true. I have passed the run-in period on mine but took the advice from this forum about working up the rev-range over the next few hundred miles. Well I drive mine daily and as of 1200 miles I have yet to get a real opportunity to take it past 8000rpm I've even gone out for a drive at the weekend but too many cars, slow drivers and lane hoggers really interrupt your progress and limit the time you have to keep the revs up high. The wet weather hasn't help much either.

[QUOTE=Papillon,Jan 15 2008, 05:01 AM]It's easy to say that the S2000 isn't quick, or isn't powerful, but that's in comparison to some serious bits of kit.
Old 01-15-2008 | 11:04 PM
Gaz

A guy I know locally has a 726bhp Evo VIII ......... and is selling it to get a TVR which he can tune. Says he always wanted something which would scare him when he takes it out and the Evo mustn't be doing that properly despite the huge power ...... I'm sure it would scare me lol. So yes, the hunger for more power is never really satisfied - however, on the right road, on the right day, in the right conditions, a great drive in a well balanced car like the S2k is very satisifying.

Gaz
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:00 AM

Peak too soon? Ask my dad? Hmmm.

Suggestions like getting a RX8 or 350z are strange. Especially if someone is looking for a car that has the capability of being a drop top, is 2.0, has VTEC, is a Honda, etc etc.

Other things I am taking in to consideration are running costs and tuning costs, plus the capability to handle more power, as already stated the S2000 can take more power due to its forged internals, this is why I have ruled such cars out like the RX8.

I can see some people dont take kindly to new members and/or drivers of other cars that might not be Honda's. So thanks for the input so far guys and cya.
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jan 15 2008, 11:12 PM
The NSX was never officially more than 280 was it?

Parkers says the Supra was 326bhp but was it that high in Japan? R34 Skyline was 276bhp.
The 3.0 NSX was 276bhp (280ps), the 3.2 was 276bhp, and the blueprinted NSX-R was 276bhp.

The R32/33/34 Skylines got more and more torque out of the RB26, but never more than 276bhp.

The Supra in JDM spec (diff turbo's) was 276bhp. The Euro spec jumped to 326, but was more of a GT than sports.

The new Lexus LFA is supposed to be over 500+ BHP (4.8 V10) and lapping Nur in 7:24 .. (I've put a link in the car chat section).

Seems Nur laps are then new bhp.

GeeUK - don't worry about the owners here, they are very opinionated and are happy to have a dig. I don't know why, it just seems to be the norm though . But if you "get" the car and enjoy it. Get one.

I know you say you'll add FI, but I will warn you, it's not cheap. Not by a long shot. Just SC'ing mine is the wrong side of
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:41 AM
jml

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Jan 15 2008, 11:40 PM
Don't forget that Honda are party to the 280bhp 'agreement' of the Japanese manufacturers. 280bhp is pretty easily achieved (if you are Honda) from a relatively small engine with no need for 'impure' forced induction.

If you think about it, for a road car anything much over 300bhp is pretty pointless anyway (other than perhaps on an autobahn)
Sure looks as if they're the only ones honoring that agreement.

btw forget about the Autobahn. Too crowded or 130km richtsgeswindigheit
Old 01-16-2008 | 12:46 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

I think 32-34 GTR's make around 320 in the real world - not sure on the NSX.
Old 01-16-2008 | 01:10 AM
MIP

Wasn't it the case with the gentlemens agreement, that alot of the claimed 280bhp figures where false and quite a few cars produced more power in reality?

I totally agree with you, the S2000 looks awful with the soft-top up. It looks great with the roof down and even better with the hardtop on.
Couldn't disagree more myself, it looks sleeker and nicer with the soft top, and I can't imagine top down in the sunshine ever getting old. I took the hard top off mine shortly after buying it, and it sounds exactly the same, apart from the sound of rain drops on the roof. I don't think it looks too great compared to the mugen hard top or the soft top.
Old 01-16-2008 | 01:12 AM

Matt .. I'll have to pop over and see what mine looks like with a roof
Old 01-16-2008 | 01:21 AM
MIP

Originally Posted by Bibbs,Jan 16 2008, 02:12 AM
Matt .. I'll have to pop over and see what mine looks like with a roof
More than welcome to mate. Or I can put it on the car and bring it round next time I'm round yours.

Though I'm not sure if you need to change anything to be able to fit it? I've got some black plastic bits that curve through 90 degrees with brushes on them that apparently were on the car before it was changed to some different bits accommodate the hard top. Did you like that description there? I am to car parts what Bob fossil is to zoo animals.
Old 01-16-2008 | 01:29 AM
MB
Member (Premium)

MIP - there were many cars which were way over the 280 but due to the agreement they just said 280.

As per my last couple of posts, Skyline's and Supra's did have more than quoted.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...