UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's Are Slow...

Old 01-14-2008 | 01:32 PM

Default S2000's Are Slow...

This is what I keep hearing, even from S2000 owners.

No torque, no power and they are slow....but compared to what?

Is this compared to the usual 2.0l turbo engine cars such as Impreza's and Evo's? Or they as fast as or slower than cars like the Mini Cooper S?

I'm trying to tell myself everything is not all about speed, but going fast is great! I am finding it hard to consider buying a car that is slower than my current car. It would be better in the looks department, the age, the handeling, but lacks a turbo...and will be slow?
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:37 PM

They are only slow if your right foot doesn't work & you think the gearstick isn't for vigourous stirring!
Best fun you can have with your pants on.

Owner for 3 years in April & i love it more now for the grin factor & sheer pleasure of driving it. Who cares if it isn't as fast as some or most. Nothing makes you enjoy driving as much for the money you pay for one.

Ed
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:42 PM

Not sure who you've been talking to but it's not slow, it is low on low down torque relative to a turbo but then again it's free revving unlike a turbo. Evo's are faster but they are also more expensive and far more fragile, imprezas on the other hand aren't only the top spec STI might eventually get away from an S2000. Servicing the S2k is cheaper than both .

You need to get a test drive of one before making your decision but be aware this car may not be for you. Speed in a straight line is meaningless unless you want to have cock fights at traffic lights, then this is definitely not the right car for you .
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:43 PM

I'm saying nothing
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:44 PM
MB
Member (Premium)

It's not really a fast car unless the conditions are right, ie a track or open road.

You try outdragging someone and its not great. I struggled to get past some really mundane stuff in a straight line - but there's not much fin in that anyway.

It's certainly not powerful.

But its rewarding and fun which is why we have it.

Combination of the roof thing, the engine thing, the gearbox thing, the looks and the steering for me.

What car do you drive?

I've had big power stuff and you just have to look at all aspects.
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bibbs,Jan 14 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm saying nothing
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:46 PM
MB
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Boab01,Jan 14 2008, 10:42 PM
Not sure who you've been talking to but it's not slow, it is low on low down torque relative to a turbo but then again it's free revving unlike a turbo. Evo's are faster but they are also more expensive and far more fragile, imprezas on the other hand aren't only the top spec STI might eventually get away from an S2000. Servicing the S2k is cheaper than both .

You need to get a test drive of one before making your decision but be aware this car may not be for you. Speed in a straight line is meaningless unless you want to have cock fights at traffic lights, then this is definitely not the right car for you .
Top spec Sti (Spec C) would obliterate an S2000.

It does the ring well below 8 mins - which is Skyline and Porsche GT3 territory!

Only other point is an Evo revs to 8k and keep going til then, unlike a scoob which is a very mid range curve
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:50 PM

Can you get that one in the UK? sorry I wouldn't dare put a foot near one I was under the impression the UK ones were pretty guff and it was only the Jap ones with any real stones.
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:50 PM

Yeah, I know where you are coming from.

I'm sure I would have lots of fun in one and don't race on the street anyway.

I guess it does all come down to a test drive.

MB,

I drive a 1.3 Glanza V turbo with pleny mods including a TD04L turbo from an Imprezza. Booked to be mapped on the 22nd to 1.4bar which will be about 260+hp and lots of torque.

Car only weighs 900kg so you can see where im coming from with the speed thing.
Old 01-14-2008 | 01:52 PM

it'll take a considerable amount of time getting used to the difference but it's a totally different beast from a Glanza which is a cracking little motor.

Quick Reply: S2000's Are Slow...