UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000's have the softest paint

Old 10-18-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try megs next gen tech wax

Pretty good at masking swirls
Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 PM

I looked into car detailing very seriously as i to am sick of all the swirl marks so evident with owning a BB S. However, i decided that all the effort would result in a lack of enjoyment as i'd probably start worrying about people leaning on/touching the car and also coming across the dissapointment of finding fresh new swirl marks. To the untrained eye it looks fantastic so thats fine with me!

Stu
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM

The paint is soft, very soft.

Every time I look at mine, the front is missing more.

If I polished the front bumber, it'd all come off I think
Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 PM
Xd

modern paints are extremely soft but I fear you did not remove the swirls in the first place and if the compound had not broken down entirely you may have added to the swirls. Most finishing compounds have fillers/sealents plus the oils to help lubricate the pad whilst working. When you first polish you need to wipe the paint with some solvent to remove any of these, if you can see swirls then the compound has not done the job. Once the paint is polished you can give it some protection with some sealent before applying a wax.

Also six hours to detail an S3 with a dual action is too quick, it would take me eight using a rotary and they are much faster machines.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 PM

I would say you 'NEED' to foam at least a couple of times to remove the main road grime before you go anywhere near the car with you're chosen wash mitt or Z sponge.

I find this is by far the best method of reducing the risk of swirls, but unfortunately it will be an ongoing problem with BB Im afraid. the best you can hope is the reduce to as little as possible and then evey year just tidy up the swirls with a good finishing polish.

I agree with Tangoman I would have thought you would need longer to fully machine polish the S then 6hrs. I have also found that Dodo Juice Lime Prime to give a nicer finish that you don't need to then paint cleanse after before waxing with cuts out a stage but also limits any damage you may cause.

I would also try and use a machine as much as possible - polish/cleanse/wax or sealant with a DA. You'll get lovely thin layers which will take little work to remove and also I think give you a greater depth of shine and finish.

HTH
Old 10-19-2009, 01:59 AM

Modern paints are shat
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 AM

Thanks for your advice all. As i mentioned i'm no professional detailer but i have to say i'm not bad at it. I get so many compliments on the depth of shine on my S, I've had lots of people stop me as i've just parked up. Definitely going to try a sealant next time though. I agree I'm sure i didn't get all the swirls out and 6 hours isn't enough time to do it fully. I'll try again the spring with the dual action and have another go.

I Think a snow foam lance is on the shopping list too.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I agree with Tango, I do mine with a Dual action polisher like yours, using the same polishes and it takes me a full weekend. It's a good 16 hours of work and i've not got all of them out yet.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Don't be too fooled by the thread title.

In the absence of said dairy by product, I tried to use a touch up pen on a beef and horseradish sandwich.

bleurgh.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Xd

Hmmmm, beef and horseradish with Nattys

Had a mouthful of Hyper dressing recently (by accident). It might smell nice but it does not taste nice.

Quick Reply: S2000's have the softest paint