UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

s2000 vs civic type R

Old 09-30-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see people accepting that the Civic is (in the real world) just as quick as the S2000.

Still some people that don't seem to want to accept it though - but in most conditions it would be as quick, if not quicker as it is easier to drive.

I agree that the S2000 is a completely different experience and that people say they didn't buy the car for all out performance but it is still frustrating when a hot hatch can keep up isn't it !!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Sep 30 2004, 09:30 PM
In the twisties it's less to do with the car and more to do with the bottle of the driver, anyone here tried to keep up with Burnie or our own Colin Andrews?

Hmmm identical car but where have they gone?

As long the CTR driver is prepared to push the car and doesn't fluff the gear changes (i.e. drives like my wife!) you're not going to get far ahead of it.

The S is a better car to drive though, hands down.
. Spot on Andy

And remember folks the CTR is 10k cheaper! Comparing on-paper peformance figures is one thing, but the two cars are like chalk & cheese.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:15 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

As another ex-CTR owner here are some comments:

As a very average driver I could probably drive the CTR faster than the S, but the S is so much nicer to drive, whether fast or just cruising.

Straight line performance-wise, here is very little in it.

The CTR tramlines very badly indeed, you are constantly having to correct it, and when the steering is the worst thing on the car, that is bad.

The ride of the S is in a different class to the CTR. No crashing or banging.

Manoeuvring the CTR is a right pain due to the long wheelbase and poor steering lock - 5 point turns are commonplace. The S is much easier to parallel park too.

The 17" wheels of the CTR combined with so little rubber mean that any minor parking misdemeanor results in dinged alloys - the S is much more forgiving.

Driving position - you sit on the CTR, and in the S.

The 'chav factor' - apart from the fact that lots of chav types seem to be buying CTRs, every NovaChav wants to race you if you are in a CTR and it is very tiresome.

The S is convertible, and has a red start button - nuff said!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:46 AM

re the tramlining, did you get the steering rack changed?
Old 10-01-2004, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by dalgleish00,Sep 30 2004, 03:51 PM
I've just sold my CTR (an 03) and am due to pick up my new S after work (can't wait as you can imagine) and changed due to the fact that I wanted what I think is a proper sports car.

The CTR was an amazing car with real chuckability (in the dry) and an excellent engine. It was however a zooped (sp?) up family hatch and therefore IMO lacked some of the sporting dynamics that the S has in spades. I would definitely have one again, should I need the space.

In terms of performance, the S and the CTR are very close on paper and I doubt any difference would be very noticable in the conditions you describe. On a track the CTR has even been shown to be quicker when driven by professionals, although who knows if they really were!

He could also have had some mod done?
Good to see you getting one Welcome!
If you are new to rear wheel drive then read some of the threads to do with wet weather handling. Respect the car, take it easy and adapt your driving style, and get yourself on a track.
If you are experienced in RWD, then I'll get me coat....
Old 10-01-2004, 03:49 AM

With the top down a CTR will probably hold the advantage at 100mph+ The top speeds are fairly similar and I feel like I am losing 20%+ with the top down. I know this from an encounter with a Clio Williams 3, when I pulled out to go past at 120-130 it felt like a brick wall and took ages to get to 135, where a CTR will probably accelerate faster.

Some good gearchanging without lifting and a little more committment from a good CTR driver was probably the answer.

[CORNER]
Old 10-01-2004, 04:46 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by C7BLE,Oct 1 2004, 11:46 AM
re the tramlining, did you get the steering rack changed?
I took it to Crown Honda to have the 'pulling to the left' problem sorted. I think the tramlining is simply due to those big wheels/tyres and the limitations of the front suspension setup. The steering feel suffers as well because of this, so much feel has had to have been dialled out to avoid bump steer etc.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:09 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=supers2k,Sep 30 2004, 05:13 PM] The other factor worth taking into account is the weight. The S2k weighs 1260 kgs and the CTR or otherwise refered to by people who don't like them as a chav car or bread van weighs just 1204 kgs.

One other thing worth bearing in mind is lots of CTR owners before doing any mods have there cars dynoed and lots seem to be above the factory qoute of 197 Bhp.

In terms of tuning as well, there are lots of mods available for the CTR and for under
Old 10-01-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The CTR is only 5% lighter. Add that to a 0-60 of 6.6, in seconds terms that .33 of a sec.

feck all.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Oct 1 2004, 12:46 PM
I took it to Crown Honda to have the 'pulling to the left' problem sorted. I think the tramlining is simply due to those big wheels/tyres and the limitations of the front suspension setup. The steering feel suffers as well because of this, so much feel has had to have been dialled out to avoid bump steer etc.
thats what I thought to but I got them to check the rack and the found it was sticking which was making the tramlining much worse. New Rack and it feels a lot better.

Still not as good as the S (or as good as a Puma either) but much better.

there isn't a lot of feel and it is bouncy round uneven roads which can be a bit scary but it's a hell of a lot of fun for 15K

Quick Reply: s2000 vs civic type R