UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Vehicle recall

Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Vehicle recall

I contacted honda regarding the recall.They sent me a pdf confirming that my car is one of the affected ones.I have spoken to a couple of different service managers regarding the work.Basically they are changing the spark plugs and removing the sump to change a bolt that has two holes for a bolt that has four holes.I was concerned about the molybendium in the oil not being replaced but both said that they are instructed to re add molybendium if the mileage warrants it i.e.under 9k.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:09 PM

Had the recall work done on mine today at Arriva Honda in Bristol along with first service. They did a first class job. Cars in the UK also get an additional 1 years extended warranty on the engine as a good will gesture from Honda (not bad).

Chris
Old 09-22-2002, 01:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Got a notice from Honda Recall Administration yesterday.

Says that my car is in the range of vehicles that will benefit from the product upgrade.

Just had my oil changed quite recently so I'm a bit annoyed that I'm about to get it done now for free when it doesn't need doing yet. Maybe I can hold off a bit.

I did that last time and got another notice from Honda then the dealer finally phoned me up to tell me I needed to get the seatbelt mod done.

Waiting also has the advantage that someone else's car is modded first. Not that I don't trust garages......
Old 09-22-2002, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by ChrisX
Cars in the UK also get an additional 1 years extended warranty on the engine as a good will gesture from Honda (not bad).
I've been away from the board for the last few weeks and am about to put an extension on my warranty (3 years run out in October) - can you just clarify what you meant by this??

Also, my cars going for a its 3 year service in a few weeks so just wondered if this is something that will be done?......don't know much about this...?
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steven,

You're not paying attention!
There's 2 recalls due to be done on all but the latest 2003 S2000s. The first one is new spark plugs and crush washers underneath them which is a fix for plugs which have been working loose.

The second is the fitting of two new bolts in the sump which have larger oil holes than the originals to aid the flow of oil to the con rods. This is undoubtedly a fix for some of the catastrophic engine failures.

Both recalls should be getting underway about now, with the dealers contacting owners as parts become available. I'd just remind your dealer about this, they should know all about it by now. I'd leave it till the service if I were you especially if you supply your own oil, ..Mobil 1 etc. as it's likely to get replaced with some stock crap.

The job shouldn't really take more than a couple of hours, but some dealers are hanging on to the car overnight as there is no sump gasket on the S2000,.... a special jointing compound is used instead which requires time to set.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and after the work is done, Honda are extending your warranty for a year on the engine only, as a goodwill gesture.