UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Turbo with Check Engine Light on

Old 08-10-2010, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 Turbo with Check Engine Light on

Hi guys,

I am considering buying a Turbo'd Honda S2000 I have seen for sale.

I have been checking the history of the car out and found that the Engine Management Light has been recorded as being lit of quite a few old MOTs and a few failures for emissions.

The seller (who is a genuine guy that took the car in part-x) is not an expert on turbo'd S2000s but he has had a few S2000s thinks it is just a sensor that is causing the problem and is a common issue. It is intermittent and the light is not on the car at the moment.

Normally I would never buy a car with CEL problems - not worth the hassle but the car does have a a HKS F-Con ECU so I am thinking it is just that.

I know of many Jap cars that have a similar warning lights on the dash when they have been modified such as decatted or after being remapped.

The spec of the car:

Engine

-HKS GT2835 turbo
-HKS wastegate
-1000ps Topfuel manifold & down pipe
-Custom de-cat and centre pipe
-Custom HKS rear cans
-Blitz LM intercooler with colour coded boost hardpipe kit
-HKS racing blowoff valve(only available in Japan)
-HKS spf air filter
-HKS 680cc injectors
-FSE fuel pressure regulator
-255lph in tank fuel pump

ECU

-HKS F-Con Pro ECU

Just want to go into this with my eyes OPEN so any advice appreciated.

Does it look like it is anything to worry about?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 02:09 AM
LTB

I don't know if there are any reputable tuners around where you are, but why not arrange to have the car taken to a tuner to get a full bill of health before you do the deal ?
Old 08-10-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous owner and the previous owner before that were on this forum, so if you do some digging you should be able to find out the car's history.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:18 AM

There have been a few well known and well sorted SC/Turbo cars in the for sale section recently, why not look at one with a better history.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Aug 10 2010, 10:12 AM
The previous owner and the previous owner before that were on this forum, so if you do some digging you should be able to find out the car's history.
True.

I have PM'd the previous owner but no reply yet. The previous owner to him has been superb and very helpful but when he sold the car it had an AEM EMS in it and not the HKS F-CON.

Will see if I can get in touch with the last tuners and ask their opinion about it too.

Anees
Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 AM

i would look into the tune using fcon pro, its an awesome bit of kit but not widely used on the the s2000, also that mean no tuners really capable on tuning it on the s2000

yeah people tune it on the 2jz, but its a totaly different engine, set up etc

if its the same one that i have seen a dyno of, the power drops off at 7.5 k which is not great

do you have any dyno plots etc of the car

ps the cel light will be due to non std ecu
Old 08-10-2010, 02:42 AM

This is the car:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=801331&hl=

Thanks Phill
Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL This was a car i spotted 15 days ago in Didcot Mcdonalds

iirc it looked very tidy, didnt get a long look at it though unfortunately as was in bit of a hurry to get home (was on way back from airport just back off holiday)
Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 AM

Just rang

Plans Motosport in Dunsfold

who had the car in on May 2010 and remember the car well. Reassured me the Check Engine Light is not an issue to be worried about. They vouched for the car and said mechanically it was great.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, this is Andrew Dohertys old car so it has more history than you could ever imagine by Hyper Sports, GT-Art, Plans Motorsport, Thor Racing etc etc

The ECL comes on intermittently and has done ever since it was changed to the HKS F-CON in 2008. It's had lots of new sensors fitted by GT-art just in case and it still comes on. Plans motorsport have checked it all out a number of times and confirmed it is down to the F-Con and nothing to worry about.

As Anees says, all tuners who have worked on the car have given it a full clean bill of health (he rang all of them!) as has Andy himself, who came round to look at it tonight to re-live his S2000 project (great to meet you Andy).

Shame a turbo'd, carbon bodies s2000 isn't for you Anees and good luck with your search for your new toy (which i suspect will be a TTS supercharged S2000?)

Cheers

Rob

p.s when it was spotted 15 days ago, it was on it's way to my house being delivered as i took it as a p/s on my AMG.

Quick Reply: S2000 Turbo with Check Engine Light on