UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Road Tax to increase to

Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote name='oss' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:30 AM'] I do care Andy, but I also know that it is too feckin late to do anything about it.

I don't mean that it is technically too late to do anything, however it IS politically too late for reasons that are all too obvious when you read the posts on forums like this.

So many of the guys on here are so desperate to jump on the bandwagon of any opinion that lets them personally off the hook. It seems that it is so much easier to believe a documentary by a producer that has already had to admit deliberate bias in previous productions than to actually read and attempt to understand the arguments being put forward by over 80% of the planet's climate scientists.

Ever heard of Occam
Old 03-22-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Climate?
It's all balls... Nobody knows anything, it's all guess work.

One thing rings true however...
"Gordon and Labour are just trying to appeal for the votes of the poor deluded souls that imagine that something can actually be done." And I'd add "Or needs doing"
Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fletch' date='Mar 22 2007, 02:21 PM
Climate?
It's all balls... Nobody knows anything, it's all guess work.
Please qualify this generalisation, as you obviously know better than the worlds scientists.

There is a lot of ignorance, arrogance and misunderstanding in this thread.
Its a sad day when a little tax increase is more important to the people of this world than the world itself.

Essentially, most people are saying its someone elses fault, as usual.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 AM

It's all guess work and interpretation. Quite simple.

One set of clever people are saying one thing and another set of clever people are saying the opposite.

I've yet to see any "proof" from either side that man made CO2 emissions are causing a global disaster or not.

EDIT:
The very annoying thing for myself and I'm sure most of the other dissidents is that our government are using, and will continue using, this climate panic as an excuse to hike up our taxes when in fact the hikes will have zero effect on "fixing" anything. (Assuming it is broke)
Old 03-22-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by m1bjr' date='Mar 22 2007, 02:59 PM
Only if that someone is GOD.
Or perhaps mother nature.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 AM

Please qualify this generalisation, as you obviously know better than the worlds scientists.

Its a sad day when a little tax increase is more important to the people of this world than the world itself.

As I said earlier, we are a small ball of water rock and mud hurtling round a large ball of molten rock and gases held in place by a force we have a very vague understanding of, in a universe where we don't actually understand where or what 80% of it is.

We have two magnetic poles which are in a constant state of flux, and are long overdue for switching places which will cause unknown effects over the planet as the protection from cosmic rays will be lessened and even dissapear from certain parts of the planet until it re-asserts itself.

There are a goodly number of huge volcanoes well overdue for eruption that could have a significant effect on climate in the short term

There is a lot of ignorance arrogance and misunderstanding, that anything we do in the above scenarios is even remotley significant.

Actually the amazing thing is not how much the climate changes but actually how little

But of course in the small mindset of ecomentalists and politicians, taxing people in powerful cars will have a profound effect on billions of years of existence.

Doesn't the idea of planting a tree for a year of air travel seem faintly ridiculous to anyone?
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
pip

Even if CO2 had anything remotely to do with Global Warming, or should I say the earth changing temperature a bit, you could bury the UK and within a few months China would have increased their emissions to compensate for the UK not being there. Taxing people more is not going to change anything, apart from the amount in the Govt coffers.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:42 AM

As there is every time the climate is raised as a subject.

From both sides of the argument.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:46 AM

[devilsadvocate]Surely CO2 emissions are a useful (if not accurate) measure of the consumption of (finite) energy resources.

So, could the thinking be that by increasing the cost of running "wasteful" engines, consumers will choose more efficient automobiles and indirectly force car manufacturers to R&D more efficient engines / alternative fuels.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:52 AM

[quote name='Chris Type R' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:46 PM'] [devilsadvocate]Surely CO2 emissions are a useful (if not accurate) measure of the consumption of (finite) energy resources.

So, could the thinking be that by increasing the cost of running "wasteful" engines, consumers will choose more efficient automobiles and indirectly force car manufacturers to R&D more efficient engines / alternative fuels.

Quick Reply: S2000 Road Tax to increase to