UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 RIP

Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 RIP

Sadly after 5 years of ownership my beloved S is no more

The repairs to the car have been valued at £6160 and the insurance company have decided to write the vehicle off.

They have made an offer of £6200 which includes the modifications.

The car was MY52 with 48000 miles on the clock at the time of the accident and was in very good condition.

I have looked at Parkers and Autotrader and for a car of this age with the mileage listed the price seems to vary considerable from around £4900 upto around £7500 for a car without modifications.

Would you accept the offer of £6200?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think it's a fair price.

But never accept the first offer. Find a few similar miles / age cars (mods don't count imo) and see what you can find. These are of course asking prices, and selling prices are somewhat different.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:08 AM

NO!
I think you should ALWAYS contest the value. Its a simple gamble on their part that the customer will accept the first offer. It's pretty much standard procedure in any type of insurance claim to try and get away with paying as little as possible.

i.e. I recently made a claim for sunglasses lost on holiday worth £200, first offer was £60, one simple complaint letter later they offer £120! WTF!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 AM
Banned

seems like a good price,
some 52 plate low mileage cars going for £5-6k so i think there have valued it correctly.

if you have the stock part to put back on it ask them what they will offer you for the car in stock condition and sell the modified parts on here.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by MB
I think it's a fair price.

But never accept the first offer.

Even if you just say "I was expecting more than that, at least £7k" or words to that effect. You can easily push them up a bit in my experience, even if it's only a few hundred quid. Of course if you can support your argument by pointing to some values in Parkers or Glass's Guide all the better.

Sorry to hear you're losing your baby, good luck
Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did they give you a courtesy car if they did then hang on to it as long as possible find some high priced examples and keep saying No.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by rob2.2
seems like a good price,
some 52 plate low mileage cars going for £5-6k so i think there have valued it correctly.

if you have the stock part to put back on it ask them what they will offer you for the car in stock condition and sell the modified parts on here.
The car has been taken for valuation quite some distance away and whilst I had some time to remove the basics (stereo, mats, amp, and chip) 3 out of the 4 alloys were so badly buckled from hitting the kerb they were not salvageable.

The alloys were the most expensive single modification at £1700 for the set.

The other modifications left included the intake and exhaust system.

I too thought this seemed a reasonable offer overall but I will reject it and see what price they get back to me at.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kitesurfer s2000
Did they give you a courtesy car if they did then hang on to it as long as possible find some high priced examples and keep saying No.
No courtesy car i'm afraid as it was only available in the event that the car was deemed to be repairable.

Cycling 15 miles to work with an albeit mild whiplash and a cracked rib has not been fun this week.

I bought another car yesterday so I can wait for another offer.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

S ???
Old 01-15-2012, 03:42 AM

I'm guessing that you paid extra premium for the mods, wheels in particular at that value?

Worth reminding them of this when you challenge the offer - the extra premium for mods reflects both increased risk of loss and increased cost of payout due to extra value of the item.

Worth asking them what they would have paid out had you just had your wheels nicked.

Bottom line though, it isn't a bad offer if it's where you end up.

Quick Reply: S2000 RIP