UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Not Being Quoted by Chris Knott!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stookystar,Aug 24 2010, 10:24 AM
I'm sounding old aren't I?
Yes.

HTH

Old 08-24-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried CK, and won't touch a Liverpool postcode, mind you I have some sympathy, my precious S lasted 4-months before some scally knicked it. The present one I've had for nearly 8-months now.

Last year cost me 850, this year about the best I could get was just over £1000 with £400 excess, me over 50 and 9-years NCD, (protected NCD) It is getting to the point where many cars will be uninsurable in certain parts of the country.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay.

Something that makes no sense to me is this:

Six years ago I insured a 1200cc bike with zero NCD for far less than an Astra Diesel Estate banger even with some NCD.

Which do you think is the bigger risk?

You have to think that odd right?
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Which carries the most passengers?

What were the excess points?

What were the mileages?

So many factors go into an insurance quote.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stookystar,Aug 24 2010, 10:24 AM
I don't mean to sound harsh but this is why I (and probably a lot of others) spent years not driving high powered cars. Personally I drove cheap to insure cars for years. Then when I hit 27 (with 10 years NCB and a clean licence), I went out and bought an 18 month old Boxster! Thankfully my dad had his own driving school when I was growing up so he had a very experienced advanced driving instructor friend give me some lessons with RWD cars as he was afraid i'd kill myself!

My point is that your story is not unique. I'm sitting here taking umbridge at my premium potentially rising for a Honda but at your age i'd never have even tried to buy or insure a car such as the S!

Once upon a time younger drivers couldn't afford/weren't prepared to spend crazy amounts of money on insurance. So insurers just used to put a high premium on the higher risk cars and that would deter the majority of higher risk drivers.

Nowadays the 'i want it now' generation seem happy to spend £2k+ a year on insurance. So consequently insurers just decline to quote certain cars/age groups rather than charge big premiums to deter higher risk drivers.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Aug 24 2010, 01:02 PM
Okay.

Something that makes no sense to me is this:

Six years ago I insured a 1200cc bike with zero NCD for far less than an Astra Diesel Estate banger even with some NCD.

You have to think that odd right?
just shows how much the cost of an average insurance claim has gone up with all these claims management companies charging huge fees and going for personal injury claims.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=m1bjr,Aug 24 2010, 01:02 PM] Six years ago I insured a 1200cc bike with zero NCD for far less than an Astra Diesel Estate banger even with some NCD.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stookystar,Aug 24 2010, 01:24 AM
I'm sorry to burst your bubble but it's been that way for as long as I can remember. The few insurers who will insure you under 25 for a high powered vehicle will fleece the arse off you!

I don't mean to sound harsh but this is why I (and probably a lot of others) spent years not driving high powered cars. Personally I drove cheap to insure cars for years. Then when I hit 27 (with 10 years NCB and a clean licence), I went out and bought an 18 month old Boxster! Thankfully my dad had his own driving school when I was growing up so he had a very experienced advanced driving instructor friend give me some lessons with RWD cars as he was afraid i'd kill myself!

My point is that your story is not unique. I'm sitting here taking umbridge at my premium potentially rising for a Honda but at your age i'd never have even tried to buy or insure a car such as the S!

Not bursting my bubble fella, just stating that a CTR isn't a particularly quick and dangerous car nor is a 1.6 sport.

I'm happy with my 1k FC all mods etc declared at 22.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by r8byb,Aug 24 2010, 03:43 PM
Not bursting my bubble fella, just stating that a CTR isn't a particularly quick and dangerous car nor is a 1.6 sport.

I'm happy with my 1k FC all mods etc declared at 22.
StookyStar is not a fella .....

Cars are dangerous because of the people behind the wheel in "control" of them NOT because of the performance aspect. Clearly increased performance increases risk of danger as does the lack of experience to deal with a situation.

CTR and 1.6 Sport may not be the quickest in terms of say 0-60mph performance, but they fulfill all the basic needs of young (therefore relatively inexperienced) sporty hatch drivers requirements (which may include but is not limited to: cheap to buy, maintain, reasonable parts when they prang them as a lot of them are produced, reasonably economical, lots to chose from, lots of mods available for them). Thus lots of them available to get pranged, and lots to get used in showing off contests (and then pranged).

Usually automotive prangs involve more than one car and person, and more frequently where showing off is concerned and showing off occurs more with young people that old ones (although clearly not exclusively)... so more incidents and claims with more people @ younger age = more dangerous (higher risk) = higher premiums OR simple no we won't insure you.

Therefore the state in which the cars are usually driven on the road (car + driver combination NOT mechanical variety for clarity) is the reason for the adverse weighting for insurance.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=LadyB,Aug 24 2010, 04:14 PM] StookyStar is not a fella

Quick Reply: S2000 Not Being Quoted by Chris Knott!