UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Not Being Quoted by Chris Knott!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm hoping mine will go down by turning 40 next year, but by the sounds of it I'll be lucky if it stays the same
Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just goes to show how lethal the S is.

The stats don't lie - the car gets wrecked at an alarming rate, especially in the winter months.

Cheap to buy, not so easy to keep on the road.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Aug 23 2010, 04:19 PM

The stats don't lie - the car gets wrecked at an alarming rate, especially in the winter months.

I think it more shows that there is a demographic of person out there buying the car because it's cheaper than most 'sports' convertibles, having no idea how to drive it and then totalling it which in turn sends everyone elses premiums sky high.

I wonder how much of an issue this would be if the cheapest S2000's were still over the £10k mark!

Then of course, there are the delightful 'ambulance chasing' companies who hound you to make a claim because 'there is blame' which sends insurance up again!

I had an accident four years ago which wasn't my fault and I still get e-mails asking me if i'd like to claim for my 'injuries'. I do not because as a rational human being I accept that accidents happen but God knows how many people do claim!

Rant off!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stookystar,Aug 23 2010, 04:23 PM
I think it more shows that there is a demographic of person out there buying the car because it's cheaper than most 'sports' convertibles, having no idea how to drive it and then totalling it which in turn sends everyone elses premiums sky high.

I wonder how much of an issue this would be if the cheapest S2000's were still over the £10k mark!

Then of course, there are the delightful 'ambulance chasing' companies who hound you to make a claim because 'there is blame' which sends insurance up again!

I had an accident four years ago which wasn't my fault and I still get e-mails asking me if i'd like to claim for my 'injuries'. I do not because as a rational human being I accept that accidents happen but God knows how many people do claim!

Rant off!
Crashing these isn't a new thing (see Carpers register amongst other evidence ), but the residual values now see more being written off. It's always been a comaratively expensive car to insure, it's just getting to be a problem now as some general insurance companies are considerering their options with regard to the S.

FWIW my renewal has just passed and my premium went up about £50 (as I would have expected witht the hike in premium tax), and I managed to shave £20 off that by swithching from Chris Knott to Adrian Flux.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Banned

Christ Knott are shocking they basically only insure safe cars as such and it doesn't stop there.

On the CTRO they advertise but won't insure anyone under 25. On corsasport they won't even insure people with 1.6 sports who are 21 - 22 because they class the as high risk.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Be careful about assuming that ability to buy a car is in direct correlation to ability to drive it.

Mine is right at the bottom of the value scale as all I had was the money from the sale of my 320. Though it didn't at the time, it is now starting to look and feel it - some TLC needed that tbh isn't a priority. Replace roof vs pay for insurance is pretty much the level of opportunity cost I'm at with it.

This does NOT mean I can't keep it on the road in a driving sense.

Likewise - look how many exotics get smashed.

FWIW - my insurance (through Flux) was 660 when I bought the car. Renewal came through last week - 880!

Went on compare the market, I can still insure for 600.

I'll be interested to see if a) Flux can match the quote and b) will let me use the 25% discount I should recieve for having a Ride Drive Advanced Driving cert and report.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r8byb,Aug 23 2010, 03:52 PM
Christ Knott are shocking they basically only insure safe cars as such and it doesn't stop there.
My last policy for the S2k before I sold it was with Chris Knott and it only cost me £350 with £250 excess.

If refusing to insure certain groups means that I get a quote like that they can carry on in my book.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Heinz '57,Aug 23 2010, 03:21 PM
Now let me see if I understand this. An insurance trader on the S2Ki/S2KUK traders forum will no longer insure S2000s?
Why the feck is he on here then?
He only informed us on 16th August. Up until this point they were able to.

They can do renewals but their insurers are not accepting new policies.

That is "why the feck" he is on here.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Aug 23 2010, 06:13 PM
My last policy for the S2k before I sold it was with Chris Knott and it only cost me £350 with £250 excess.

If refusing to insure certain groups means that I get a quote like that they can carry on in my book.

My highly modded S cost me £635/yr with Chris Knott (Highway) they knocked the socks off everyone else and did a good recovery option.
I've recently got them to move me from Highway to Chub. Highway would not insure the Aston.

Most underwriters now have a lot of data on what cars/drivers produce the most claims, premiums are based on this.
ATEOD they are a business, if the claims are too high (which they are according the conversation I had with them) they will take steps to reduce their risk!
Simples!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Aug 23 2010, 03:19 PM

Which makes me think those of us that somehow manage to keep it on the road ought to be getting some kind of super-no claims bonus and pay next to nothing for insurance because of our driving godliness.

I'm with Chris Knott; they gave me a good deal. Let's face it, most of us only ever look at the price. If it's not such a good deal next time, I'll change.

Quick Reply: S2000 Not Being Quoted by Chris Knott!