UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 I want one

Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont get me wrong, I love the VTEC engines i've had CTR's before and i'm well and truly a convert

I do just find the s2000 engine to have a slight flat spot. From 1000 revs it picks up pretty well but i do find the 4-6k zone a little dead which i didnt notice in the CTR.

Obviously after 6k i've got no complaints at all
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by simundo777
but i do find the 4-6k zone a little dead which i didnt notice in the CTR.

Obviously after 6k i've got no complaints at all
I-VTEC and cam timing, the S obviously doesnt have this.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 AM

I had an E46 M3 and My best friend has a 350z. I am on my second S now and for me its a better car to drive but that is only my opinion. It make lack torque but the car is no slouch if you know how to drive it. its also a lot more satisfying working it.

What i guess im trying to say is that it really is a personal thing and what YOU want from a car.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmanam
anything I should look out in on the test drive?

Thanks
If the roads are wet/damp DO NOT VTEC it in 1st or 2nd pulling away from stand still or you may find yourself heading sideways in to a hedge, oncoming trafiic, a wall, etc.

Don't want you to write one off on a test drive
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 AM

As above really, depends what you want out of the car. I've driven all but the boxster and would say the S is more the drivers car, requires more work but thats what I like about it. It's not easy to get the best out of but when you do its that much more rewarding! The S2k is an education in driving imo!

If you want a lazy GT get the 350, the M3/Z4 are great but IMO lacks the same charachter and feel of 9krpm VTEC with the roof down.

The VX220 are absolulty manic - worth looking into also!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 AM

I was also looking at SK's around the 2005 model...in the end i plumped for a better conditioned 2003. Wow is all i can say - if your after a perfect driving experience then id recommend it! Has a great sense of balance through the corners and if you want to add the revs to swing the back end out then she's only too happy to oblige
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 AM

Just traded my S2000 in for a 987 Boxster S. Unless you can afford the S version of the Boxster i implore you to go with the Honda, for sheer hooning there is no engine like it and the handling is ALOT of fun! PLus the running costs imho aren't bad for a sports car and there is so much you can do to it (if that's your thing)
Things that i miss....the exclusivity of the car and it's beautiful looks, sound of VTEC.
Why i made the leap to the Boxster S....sheer speed of it, sound of the engine and sports exhaust and all the extras in the cabin.

Whichever you choose, ENJOY!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by simundo777
The boxster is a cracking car but the s2000 is a bit more 'special' feeling due to its rarity and hardcore image.

You'll certainly enjoy it, the only things I dislike on mine are the shocking ride quality and the lack of any real exhaust note at low revs but that was coming from a 350z
How would you compare the 350z to a S2000?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
To be honest, after driving various cars with lots of torque, I prefer the S to any car. In fact Vtec engines in general I prefer. I like the fact they are calm and ordinary at low speeds, I prefer the "no drama" appeal at 30mph. That's the split personality you get used to, it has a bad temper when you kick its ar$e and screams like a banshee. You'll be going from understeer to oversteer in dramatic fashion comng from a remapped Vectra...Joking aside, put the best tyres possible on and you'll be fine.
I had the option of an 04-06 last year, but the best s2000 in my opinion for the long term commuter is an 02-03... They still capture the same early '99-01 rawness but just a little softer suspension on the rear end (not as tailhappy in the wrong weather conditions, having owned a '00). Later ones are prettier and grow nannies.
Try an older one, as well as the 05. You'll notice a small difference,
but I'm sure either one will fit your driving style.
What MPG would I get from driving it sensiable, not using the high revs all the time?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 AM

30 mpg i'd say with a good bit of fun driving....to be honest though, as with any sports car it's not really the reason to buy one or worry about it once you have. If you are concerned with that then what's more of a problem is buying the high RON all the time. There are other sports cars where it's not as necessary (i only use RON every 3 tanks of unleaded) but with the VTEC engine i would advise you to.

Quick Reply: S2000 I want one