UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 I want one

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 I want one

Hi, firstly really good site and learnt loads all ready about the SK2 by searching the site.

I am in the position of looking at a 2nd car. I want something that's fast, looks good, thrilling drive and is a coupe or convertible. I have admired the Honda since it came out was never in the position to buy one.

I have a short list of cars and the Honda is one of them:-

Honda S2K - GT model - like the idea of the hardtop in rainy Scotland
Nissan 350z - coupe or convertible
BWM M3 E46 - coupe or convertible
Porsche Boxster (post 2004 face-lift model) - would like the S but budget wont go that far
Z4 3.0i - the coupe version and not the convertible

Out of the list I feel the Honda offers the greatest value for money and cheapest maintenance costs - the only problem is it might be to small for me as I'm a tall lad - 6ft 4. I am hoping to go and see one this weekend and see if I fit.

Sorry for the future dumb questions
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi and welcome, there are plenty of owners at your height but you 'may' have to buy lowering seat rails. You then will have plenty of room.

The engine, you will either love it or hate it I'm afraid so its best to try it, you MUST do this. You will need to rag it to extract the best performance but its fun at the same time but not for everyone, constantly changing down a cog may annoy you. The M3 will cost a lot more to service etc than the S2000 but a cracking car. The 350Z is a bit lazy but comfortable and not as fast as you think in my experience - I looked at several convertibles before getting an S2000. Overall package handling/looks etc I like it, apart from the performance which to be honest i needed more power.

I wouldn't entertain the others sorry, the 350z looks shit in convertible guise. They are all good cars, the only one not of your list that i would fancy if i was willing to lose some creature comforts would be a VX220 turbo.

Reminds of a funny story, in the local tyre place a guy was slating the S2000 after talking to him about tyres (vx220 owner seen me in car park whilst going in) saying the engine was crap and had nothing to it even @6k plus (can't fault him for expressing his opinion but never said anything about his car). I remember going shopping that day, later in the day I was behind him on a dual carriage way i could here he had some sort of aftermarket CAI, much to my delight I destroyed him on the straight - unbeknown to him he didn't know i was superchargred

Priceless look on his face

If you've come from anything turbo etc you may find the change disappointing or love it!

At the end of the day you'll hard pressed to find anything as good for the price, as nowadays Honda's dont do it for me anymore.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I asked myself the same questions when I came to buy my S2k...

All I can say is the s2k is amazing, best value for money and could give most of the above a good race! Hardtop is handy for winter and looks great. I'm 6ft 2 and fit fine. At 6ft 4 the leg room may be tight but should be ok, have a try!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM

OP, I'm the same height as you. Play around with the seating, far back upright or forward a bit and more reclined etc. One "click" of the seat can make all the difference. Headroom, however, I find is OK (although top part of rev counter is a little obscured...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Hi and welcome, there are plenty of owners at your height but you 'may' have to buy lowering seat rails. You then will have plenty of room.

The engine, you will either love it or hate it I'm afraid so its best to try it, you MUST do this. You will need to rag it to extract the best performance but its fun at the same time but not for everyone, constantly changing down a cog may annoy you. The M3 will cost a lot more to service etc than the S2000 but a cracking car. The 350Z is a bit lazy but comfortable and not as fast as you think in my experience - I looked at several convertibles before getting an S2000. Overall package handling/looks etc I like it, apart from the performance which to be honest i needed more power.

I wouldn't entertain the others sorry, the 350z looks shit in convertible guise. They are all good cars, the only one not of your list that i would fancy if i was willing to lose some creature comforts would be a VX220 turbo.

Reminds of a funny story, in the local tyre place a guy was slating the S2000 after talking to him about tyres (vx220 owner seen me in car park whilst going in) saying the engine was crap and had nothing to it even @6k plus (can't fault him for expressing his opinion but never said anything about his car). I remember going shopping that day, later in the day I was behind him on a dual carriage way i could here he had some sort of aftermarket CAI, much to my delight I destroyed him on the straight - unbeknown to him he didn't know i was superchargred

Priceless look on his face

If you've come from anything turbo etc you may find the change disappointing or love it!

At the end of the day you'll hard pressed to find anything as good for the price, as nowadays Honda's dont do it for me anymore.
Hi, I'm coming from a vectra vxr, which had 315bhp and 405 ibs/ft torque. The torque figures for the Honda are a bit dissappointing.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro
OP, I'm the same height as you. Play around with the seating, far back upright or forward a bit and more reclined etc. One "click" of the seat can make all the difference. Headroom, however, I find is OK (although top part of rev counter is a little obscured...
Will do I'm going to see one on the weekend, if it's still the, grey with red leather, 50k miles on the clock and a 55 plate.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will certainly be a change!, if its the performance then look at the M3. If you look past the torque figures its a good car, dismissing the S2000 due to the low torque figures is a bit naive though to be honest. ATEOD a high revving 2.0L N/A was never going to be a torque monster but torque is not the be all end all as people believe.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM

you will miss the torque, the s2000 does feel very flat for everyday driving but as a weekend toy to thrash about then there is no finer car for the money.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM

Hello and welcome. I'm pretty new here myself.

I bought my S2K last month and have only had the chance to really enjoy it a handful of times. I can't fault it to be honest, when I get on the back roads.

Also I'm 6' 3" and there's plenty of headroom for me. The driving position feels pretty good and it's such an exciting drive, especially after 6.5k revs I recommend you give it a good drive before buying but I doubt there's anything that's likely to put you off at that stage.

If I have one gripe it's that I like to keep an eye on the rev counter, which at our height is obscured by the top of the steering wheel. It's a bit annoying so I may invest in some lower seat rails myself. See how you feel about it. And the stereo is pretty crap so after a month you'll be looking at changing that too.

Otherwise it's really a lively little thing. The gear lever sits in my left hand like the old SEGA Rally arcade and it just excites me whenever I have a bit of open road. Buy the roadster as a second car and I wouldn't worry about the getting hard top, personally.

And if you buy one you can hang out here too

T
Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Engine torque is a largely meaningless figure, see the link in my signature for a proper explanation.

The S2000 will pull happily from 25mph in 5th all the way to 140 or so...

Welcome to the site

Quick Reply: S2000 I want one