UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver
Yes, I use it every day and just drive it carefully in the wet
82.72%
Yes, I use it every day but dread driving it in bad weather
2.47%
No, It only gets used when the weather is fine
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver

Old 06-29-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Neil,

I've a handy '99 if you decide on the 2-car option: click here.

Rog
Old 06-29-2003, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

End of the year was for either choice. We're building a garage (if the planning dept sorts itself out) and that would be needed especially if I go for the 2 car option, I've no room for 3 cars without the garage

Need to sell the Scooby as well, and offers were not forthcoming when I tried a few weeks ago.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my car for commuting to work (85 mile round trip), visitng clients and thrashing about at weekends. With 25K miles clicked-up last week (it's not yet a year old) I believe I can comment with authority and say the S is totally satisfactory as a daily driver - heavy rain, snow, ice - you name it, I've driven the S in it.

I found my experience of riding an RGV250 motorcycle (63BHP from 250cc...) good training for the S - I developed a healthy respect for weather and I think this has served me well with the S.

Don't listen to all those "girls" who say you can't use the S as you would any other car!
Old 06-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is used for work, so clocks up on average 1k miles per week on my jaunts to Manchester & London. I just show mine a lot more respect in the wet, as like Mark T, I learnt an expensive lesson the hard way!
Old 06-29-2003, 12:55 PM

I like driving mine in the wet.
The level of grip is much lower so the back came come out at relatively low speeds. Great fun as long as you're careful and pay attention.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:06 PM

The week I had mine it was pretty wet most of the time, and I didn't find it a problem TBH. It's the ice/snow that I was worried about really.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:16 PM

There are much more comfortable cars to drive in winter when there's the snow ice problem, if you can afford two cars...

run two cars and savour an S2000 at its best, when it's sunny with roof down for the hell of it.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 PM

I've been driving RWD cars for about ten years now and I've never found the S to be a handful even in inclement weather as long as you respect the conditions. I'm probably one of the few who actually enjoyed (within reason!) the sudden snowy spell we had at the beginning of the year. When the snow fell I had only had my S for a week or so and it presented a perfect opportunity to get to know how the car and tyres responded in very slippery conditions, and to get a feel for the ABS system without having to stress the car.

I also commute to work everyday through London city traffic with a 14 mile round trip, and the S has been no problem whatsoever even throughout the worst stop-start traffic, all the time returning half decent MPG figures. Amazing engine, amazing car.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine is a daily driver, and having it over my first winter I have found it fine. Drive it like its meant to be driven in the Summer, and just like a normal (rwd) car in the wet / snow / ice
Old 06-29-2003, 02:15 PM

Had my S for just over a year and driven in all weather conditions. You just save the 9,000 RPM gear changes for the dry and drive smoothly in the wet, no problem.

Have to say though that its just too hit and miss in the snow, the fat tyres will not bite through compacted snow. A sack of spuds in the boot helps but snow is best avoided. There was only 1 day of snow last winter in my area so I don't view it as a big limitation. Roll on global warming

I've never considered a passenger car for bad weather as they make me feel unsafe with their blancmange like handling and quite nauseous after even short journeys, although for the 1 mile trip to the supermarket, they are bearable

Quick Reply: Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver