UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver
Yes, I use it every day and just drive it carefully in the wet
82.72%
Yes, I use it every day but dread driving it in bad weather
2.47%
No, It only gets used when the weather is fine
14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver

Old 06-29-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a few comments on here recently, I'm interested to know what you all think.

I've got two choices at the end of the year buy an 02 with it's more forgiving handling and use it everyday for my 40mile round trip commute, or buy a 99/2000 and spend a couple of grand on a second car to use in the wet and winter.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:25 AM

So long as you're aware of how the S will bite you if you don't respect it in the wet, I've found it to be fine all year round. I guess the only caveat that I would add is that I'd put a set of better all-weather tyres on, like F1 Eagles or Toyo Proxies, if it's going to be used a lot during the wetter months.

It's my only car, so I don't have any alternative but to use it if I need to get around. I tend to commute to work by train but still used it most weekends over the autumn and winter to drive up from Midlands to Manchester to Jenny's house. I slow down when it rains (having learned a painful lesson as to what can happen when a powerful RWD car loses grip in the wet ) and find the car perfectly manageable.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:26 AM

I went for the second car option and am very pleased I did.
The wear and tear on the Fiesta would have cost a lot to put right on the S2000.
If you get a cheap diesel in a low insurance group as your second car it costs very little extra to run.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:45 AM

I bought mine to be my only car but have yet to use it in the winter. Most of my previous cars have been rear wheel drive (although most not quite as powerful) and I hope it's going to be manageable. I don't have a public transport alternative as I use the car for visiting customers every day. I don't have a garage either so I wouldn't really like to leave it stood over the winter period.
Anyhow winters don't seem half bad with all this global warming so the number of snow days will probably be minimal.

BTW what is the S like in snow - Iv'e not seen any threads about this but thats probably cos I didn't join until March
Old 06-29-2003, 10:51 AM

Mines a daily driver, I'm using F1s to inspire increased wet weather confidence. No problems thus far, but I've been driving RWD for 2.5 - 3 years now.

I reckon I might swap my stock exhaust back on at the end of the year to remove the VTEC temptation during the winter months Last year I managed to swing 6 weeks in sunnier climes over winter, so a repeat of this is my current plan B.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Red Mist
BTW what is the S like in snow - Iv'e not seen any threads about this but thats probably cos I didn't join until March
From memory the US advice is not to use S02s in the snow at all.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you HAVE to be out in all weathers,and do a lot of miles, then you need a change of tyres from the stock SO2s. I stayed on stock SO2s throughout my three years ownership, doing limited mileage, and provided as Mark said, you slow right down in the wet, (and I mean RIGHT down) you'll be OK.

We've been very fortunate in having mild winters the last few years. In snow and ice the S is best left in the garage IMHO. Running one car and being concerned about all-weather suitability (and a little more practicality) is what decided us in the end to plump for something else.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:00 AM

BTW I ran a 200SX for 3 yrs as a daily driver, so I know about rwd handling. I'm just enjoying running the Scoob because I don't have to worry about the weather.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:11 AM

I use the S when I can put the top down, doesn't have to be sunny but not tipping down. If it's raining when I leave for work, I take the Mondeo The S will probably be garaged over winter but I'll see how I get on at the academy day , that may change my mind.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Banned

The S is my only car and I have no problem using it in the rain, it's just a matter of slowing down and it's much better in the wet with the S02's than I'd hoped for to be honest, but then I drive very smooth in the wet and no Vtec.

Quick Reply: Is the S2000 a good Daily Driver