UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 diesel or spark plug failure

Old 04-08-2010, 01:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil_D,Apr 8 2010, 10:27 AM
Det could have caused that.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you recon caused it mate ?

Bad Fuel ? Too lean ? Too Much Ignition ? Etc.....

I know the list is endless unfortunately
Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wont be sure till the old engine comes out. Its very possible a mechanical failure is disguised by the damaged spark plug. The engine itself wasnt giving very good results in a compression test before the turbo went on (though they were all equal).

I can rule out bad fuel-I filled up with a new delivery of VPower and even added a bit of octane booster. I thought I could hear a little bit of pinging a few days before. So I data logged it and sent the data to Mase, he said that was normal and looked like it was running good.

Looking at the RR print the run was only performed to 8500 rpm. I went over that in 4th and it seemed to loose power, shifted to 5th where there was a missfire!

The integrity of the spark plug is in doubt as well. They were gapped in good faith when I had the car tuned without a gapping tool, much to my concern. Maybe a resultant stress fracture of the spark plug gave way.

So preliminaries are indicating mechanical failure from either the engine itself or the spark plug. Jury is out awaiting more info from the engine autopsy scheduled for this weekend.

With regards to the tune I will take her to my local for an hour or two and get him to check over the tune with the new engine. Its getting a UK engine (which is in the middle of a partial refurb) so will have a lower compression ratio than the original JDM one.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Sorry to hear (I've been in that situation too).

I'd suggest looking at the oil. Mine had gold flakes throughout when the bottom end went.

A good place to look is the mesh filter on the VTEC solenoid.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by razzele,Apr 8 2010, 02:51 PM
I wont be sure till the old engine comes out. Its very possible a mechanical failure is disguised by the damaged spark plug. The engine itself wasnt giving very good results in a compression test before the turbo went on (though they were all equal).

I can rule out bad fuel-I filled up with a new delivery of VPower and even added a bit of octane booster. I thought I could hear a little bit of pinging a few days before. So I data logged it and sent the data to Mase, he said that was normal and looked like it was running good.

Looking at the RR print the run was only performed to 8500 rpm. I went over that in 4th and it seemed to loose power, shifted to 5th where there was a missfire!

The integrity of the spark plug is in doubt as well. They were gapped in good faith when I had the car tuned without a gapping tool, much to my concern. Maybe a resultant stress fracture of the spark plug gave way.

So preliminaries are indicating mechanical failure from either the engine itself or the spark plug. Jury is out awaiting more info from the engine autopsy scheduled for this weekend.
I feel for you mate - more expense

Just a few questions;

- Why was it tuned to 8500 RPM

- What boost were you running

- The loss of power and miss fire would have been down to spark plug gap - what were they gapped to?

- Do you have any datalogs post tune

Good luck sorting it out, but my advice would be to keep on top of the ECU next time round.