UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 burning oil?!?!

Old 04-10-2004, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 burning oil?!?!

Hello everyone,

OK, to my shock....I check the oil on my 2000 s2K yesterday. Last service was at 28K miles and I now have done 4,500 miles since that. And the oil level was a little less then the "low" mark on the stick!! I topped it up to "High" when cold..... OK, I know I should have been checking the oil more often but......it took a litre to get it up to the Max. A LITRE of oil burned in 4,500 miles?!!? I say burned as there is no oil on the drieway where I park.

Are S2k's normaly oil burners?? WHat should I do??

Thanks as always,

Adrian
Old 04-10-2004, 09:02 AM

Hello!

I believe that the user manual states that the oil should be checked *every* tank of fuel as the F20C can use plenty of oil. Mine uses about 1/2 litre every 1000 miles, which means that it takes 1000 miles for the dipstick to go from "max" to "min" (give or take a bit)

There are plenty of threads on this subject, including a section in the Technical FAQ:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=181443

Have a read and then quickly stick some oil in and hope noone notices
Old 04-10-2004, 10:30 AM

As I understand it, the VTEC system uses oil pressure to engage the cam, so uses more oil than a non VTEC car anyway.
The high rev limit will also mean oil is used more, so its worth checking more regullaly than 4500 miles, id say at least once every two weeks.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by SideShowB0b
As I understand it, the VTEC system uses oil pressure to engage the cam, so uses more oil than a non VTEC car anyway.
The high rev limit will also mean oil is used more, so its worth checking more regullaly than 4500 miles, id say at least once every two weeks.
The oil used to operate the VTEC system is simply recirculated - it is not 'used' - it simply falls back to the sump to go around again. What burns the oil is the small quantity that gets past the piston rings - more the faster the pistons move - so more with use of VTEC when piston velocities are very high. You try moving up an down 9,000 times a minute.

Others will, I am sure, give their view of whether the consumption you are seeing is unusual - but I think if you took the time to do some searching on this site you would find figures like a litre per thousand miles occur in some cases.

Most people seem to check their oil very very frequently.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:52 AM

Check it every couple of weeks.

4500 miles is a long gap. You can drop notch on the dip stick in 260 spirited miles
Old 04-10-2004, 11:17 AM

plus they meay have underfilled it slightly at the service, Check at least once a week, when you do the wash and check the tire pressures

Old 04-10-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the high revs that burn the oil up - consumption is probably not going to be considered "high" until you reach the 1/2 litre / 500 miles mark (that would be 4.5 times your usage right now).

I have found with the S, and the Prelude before it, that if I use the car for a couple of weeks commuting when I don't rev the engine much it uses hardly any oil. Then, open it up for a few high speed trips, and you really do have to check and top up the level every 300 miles or so.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by XBy2K
Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Thanks to everyone for the informed replies. I appreciate it. I am still new to all this great S2K ownership and so a little cautious/nervous!!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:46 AM

Adrian, read the tech faq thoroughly, I'll test you later

Mine went for plenty of miles using none, then used a litre in 1000 miles. Now it's back to using none again.

Make sure you check the oil level properly - the car must be standing on a flat surface, you can check when the car is cold only if you haven't started it, otherwise take it for a good 20 miles on a Saturday morning (great excuse for a this ) park it up and leave it for 5 minutes then check it. Honda have been known to refuse warranty engine replacements on the grounds of low oil.

Next, tyre pressures - read the tech faq

It's all part of the fun of owning a real sports car.

Quick Reply: S2000 burning oil?!?!