UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is the S2000 about to become commonplace.....

Old 03-31-2003, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the S2000 about to become commonplace.....

.....or are the dealers not telling us something?

When I bought an S2000 two years ago, I had a 6 month wait for it to come across from Belgium. Local dealers were quoting about 3 months delivery time (as I recall).

Now I am back in the market for another, my enquiries are met with (local dealer) "available in 2 weeks" whereas the importers are saying "3-4 weeks".

Why the change? If one correlates a wait to get something with it's exclusivity, then (by logical extension) having something readily available must be a harbinger of impending commonality. What do you think?

Is there a glut of S2000s on an airstrip somewhere or are they failing to shift them because fo the expectation of an updated model?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:13 AM

The six month wait you quote was still the norm when I made enquiries about this time last year. I'd imagine it's more seasonal than anything else. Try again in a couple of months and I suspect you'll find it much harder to get one so readily.

As for them being commonplace, I'm lucky if I see one other S2000 a week. There are certainly more around than over the past couple of years (Honda sold 1,100 in 2002, which is around twice what they sold in 2001), but that's still far from being common.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:21 AM

Anyone know the sales figures for TT's and Boxsters?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

What's more rare for 25k ?
Old 03-31-2003, 02:23 AM

After last years delivery hassle the dealers received maybe they're put pressure on someone to get more here in time to sell them.....i wonder if they lost orders cos of the waiting times kept changing.......

I agree with Mark, summer time will probably be worse.

Hardly any up ere in Mancland
Old 03-31-2003, 02:27 AM

As for them being commonplace, I'm lucky if I see one other S2000 a week
Me too! (phew, I was feeling a little toasty there for a minute )

My point was does any one think the S is about to become more common on our roads? I certainly agree that is has undeniable exclusivity at the moment - especially for the price.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:36 AM

Fair point - that'll teach me to only half-read the subject heading!

I think Honda have worked out that they can shift more of them and have perhaps therefore secured a larger number of vehicles from the factory. Even if the number sold doubled again in 2003, however, 2200 new cars a year is still a drop in the ocean.

More common? Perhaps. But there are sufficiently few at the moment that they will still remain relatively uncommon in my view.
Old 03-31-2003, 03:06 AM

I think that the S2000 will never become common, particularly during the 4th year of it's model life cycle. It is also exceptionally difficult to drive well,when compared to the sanitised cars available. It's expensive to insure if your younger and to the uninitiated the badge does not carry the "cachet or kudos" of some lesser cars.
LONG MAY THIS CONTINUE. We will all know the pleasure of driving such a fine machine. Remember Surgeons dont use kitchen knives for operations, they use scalpels and for good reason......

A few of things that influence lead times are:-

1] Honda dealers lie to get you to sign up. Johnsons certainly tried it with me. The Honda UK system is vague on quantities avail/in pipeline.

2] Colour plays a huge part in availability. Honda UK has history showing weighting towards colour combo's/ time of year etc..

3] Honda UK forward order based on 2. Dealers then "firm up" on a specific car already on the water.

This is of course only my two pennies worth.

Allan
Old 03-31-2003, 03:13 AM

COMMON, whats this.

I have done over 400 miles this weekend.
Basildon and back and a few rather long jounrneys in the sun and did not spot on S on the roads and i was looking.

The only S i did see was a red in uxbridge on someones driveway.

So i would say last weekend they were as rare as rockinh horse ****
Old 03-31-2003, 03:29 AM

Someone told me that each Honda dealer are only allowed to sell about 12 a year!! Even if they do double this it's still difficult for the S to become commonplace!

I just hope that the Honda design team don't decide to "update" the model with non-mechanical improvements such as a body shape "improvement"....I mean you can't improve on perfection!! and look what they did to the CRX and Prelude just when they were looking good...it was a bit radical!!

Quick Reply: Is the S2000 about to become commonplace.....