UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: What's the score?
S2000 6 - Audi TT 1
27.78%
S2000 6 - Audi TT 2
27.78%
44.44%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

S2000 6 - TT 1 or S2000 6 - TT 2

Old 12-28-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default S2000 6 - TT 1 or S2000 6 - TT 2

Heading back to chester from Tamworth yesterday I pulled off the motorway since it was choca-block and decided to do A34-A51 instead.

Pull up at a roundabout and a TT drives across in front of me and heads up the road I'm going up. I pull out thinking I can catch up and have a bit of fun on the way home but then thought better of it.

First thought to cross my mind is Sun Tzu "Know thyne enemy" and "Know the terrain". Ok I'm driving a RWD car that is notoriously unforgiving on a wet road that is slimey with salt and still has snow in patches and I'm wanting to go play with a 4x4 'sports car'.

I decided not a good idea. What I'm not sure about is since I never tried to have a play does it count as a loss?
Old 12-28-2004, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can all end in tears
Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 AM

A win for the TT I feel.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:23 AM

To be honest I was thinking it would be a loss due to forfeit but IIRC in boxing if you never step in the ring it ain't a forfeit.

Whatever I reckon it was the right decision
Old 12-28-2004, 01:30 AM

I agree with Bright Red's point of view.

Am having my S2000 sometimes on the edge and I usually play around through the trafic or 0-100km for a change. But sometimes people are getting behind me so I can have a go with them. Am not a type of driver who says my car is faster than yours. The real challenge is not on straights but on turns. I judge the ability of a driver combined with the car. I've seen some Audi's, Porches, Ferraris and a Lamborghini pass me slowly next to me trying to make me go for it, but I know I cannot beat them. But when it comes to cornering they act like chickens. The real driver is proves himself there. But then again to prove what? Acting like a child I guess on the streets? I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. People should be more careful and there must be a balance.]

To know your limits and the car's limits. He who knows that... is a good driver.

Anyway. Thats me talking out loud again.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 AM

except the talking out loud bit
Old 12-28-2004, 01:40 AM

Plus it would spoil my christmas having to dig a hedge out from between my teeth
Old 12-28-2004, 03:01 AM
Banned

I've had similar "abortions" with 2 different old-skool Impreza's recently. Both in poor weather, one in horrifically wet conditions. In the first case, I decided not to follow as he blatted away from me out of a road I know very well. Kinda pissed me off, but I'd rather have the car in one piece, than be stuck up his arse till the first chicane when I end up dead. I know the road, and know that there are several corners on it that would kill you in bad weather in RWD.

Second one was when I was overtaking a few cars on the run up to a pretty treacherous road. I prefer to overtake on the run up to it and cruise across the nasty bit because there's often standing water on the ropier bits of terrain. Then I see in my mirror an old school UK Impreza doing as I did, but not stopping behind me.

He half expected me to boot it, but when I didn't he planted it and soared away across the puddles and pot holes. Again I just had to resign myself to the fact that there's no way the S would've been driveable, and even if it did manage to stick to the ground, the stress to me caused by driving at such ridiculous speeds in bad weather wouldn't have been worth it.

I prefer to think of it as growing up, and not chickening out.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:19 AM

Has happened a couple of times recently where someone has wanted to go for it and I've just let them roar away.
I hate insurance companies so am not willing to provide them with extra work/income.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Dec 28 2004, 01:01 PM
I prefer to think of it as growing up, and not chickening out.
Best quote for ages!

No2 son has a WRX and I get a fair bit of seat time in it. It's not my cup of tea, to be honest,. If it it had the turbo AND the rev range of the S, THEN, I might want one. It's a remarkably easy car to drive thoogh, in fact it seriously flatters the driver's true ability, so they're best avoided in adverse conditions, where you'd be at a definite disadvantage, with your heart in your mouth and he wouldn't even be breaking sweat.

Not worth it!

Quick Reply: S2000 6 - TT 1 or S2000 6 - TT 2