UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

run with an 03 BMW M3

Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Totally agree against a standard S.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 'race' with a M3 CSL when I was coming off a roundabout @ about 20-120kph (onto a DC) in my VXT and there was nothing in it.

I feel that my VX was significantly quicker than my S. In a similar situation (in the S) I think that I would have been looking at a rapidly-disappearing dot on the horizon (the CSL) in a very short space of time.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Mar 29 2007, 11:27 AM
Wait till you are up and running .. I'm always looking for a TLGP (Traffic Light Grand Prix) now. And it's GO GO GO

I want to find that Z4M Coupe thing again, If i beat him before .. I want to have another go now i'm proper tuned
Old 03-29-2007, 04:50 AM

I could probably arrange a run with an M3 CS if anyone is game? On your chosen private road too (within reason)
Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 AM

If you were more local, I'd be game
Old 03-29-2007, 11:29 AM
B B

Probably the usual BMW poseur with more money than ability. Ignore and treat with distain.
The BMW brand has such a smart-arse owner image these days I would cringe at the thought of having any model parked on my drive. Sadly we are both a nation of car badge snobs and are judged on what we drive, and for me the BMW gives off all the wrong messages.

The joy of Honda is that it is slightly neutral, has lost its OAP image, grand prix involvment & endorsement has provided credable image, & some models such as the new Civic and Accord have been imaginative and stealing sales from the snob designer brands.
Best of all I say for the miliionth time the S2000 is so much the thinking persons choice.

And yes I had funds for both a work-a-day & fun-day BMW & chose Honda for both functions.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ah interesting , i actually i agree with "most" of what you say.

I think japanesse engineering is as good if not better than german. The only difference is i think some japs like lexus (toyota) try to copy BMW etc with a similar style competing in the same category, LS400? And a BMW equiv abeit more expensive "looks" better and a little more classy.

I think the interiors are well put together and are for a word refined, thats my 2p worth.

The S2000 IMO is one of the best looking jap cars created, shoot me if it was designed by a european!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 AM

My brother got what I am sure the other guy would describe as a "roasting" yesterday.

He was in his new imprezza the other car was a 2 litre merc of some sort, probably an auto! Other guy got on the gas quicker and pulled straight across him befoe he was on boost.

I have been held off by a crappy clio on french mountain roads. All he did was gun it whenever I did and there was no chance to overtake. It wasn't even a 172...

It is easy to hold cars up unless there is a vast difference in power or the driver behind is very brave.

Anyone got the in gear times for M3 And S? They would be more interesting than o-60 or 0-100. Still think the S would get whumped but maybe not by as much as the 0-100 figures suggest...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:09 AM

Hi all!

I have a stock 2004 S2000 and my missus has an E46 M3 Coupe SMGII. I tell you what, we'll go out onto Bristol ring road tonight and conduct some 'tests'! No, actually, it's wet, she'll hand me my ass on a plate...

For what it's worth, I reckon the S punches above its weight, so it's pleasing to see it compared to something with an engine which is 1.2 litres bigger, has two extra cylinders and over 100bhp extra!

In my job I've driven a HELL of a load of E46 M3s of all specs and types (including two CSLs) and as much as it pains me to say it, I believe it to be a faster car than the S2000 in most situations (but not all).

As everyone says, depends a LOT on the driver, as my S2000 v S2000 duel the other day showed...

On another point, I totally accept this argument about you need about 300bhp extra to make something else look ordinary. The two cars I've driven that really, REALLY made other performance cars look silly (even if they were accelerating quite hard) were the V10 M5 and M6 BMWs... which have 507bhp!

As Gad said, it's all horses for courses - if something takes me to pieces on the road and it's a bigger car than mine, I simply say fair play. And if it's 'smaller' than mine, or somehow supposedly not as quick, I give the driver a nod because he must be very good... it took me all my effort, VTEC and speeds of over 100 (km/h) to get past a bloody Zafira GSi the other day!! How embarrassing is THAT?!

Quick Reply: run with an 03 BMW M3