UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rubbish dipstick!

Old 06-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubbish dipstick!

I know this has probably been mentioned on many previous occasions, but then on a model that's now 15 years old, and a forum which has been going for nearly as long, it would be hard to discuss something that hasn't been I guess!
Changed the oil and filter yesterday evening for the first time in a couple of years (I don't do that many miles these days) and had forgotten how difficult it is to read the dipstick with fresh oil. In fact it's virtually impossible in any kind of light!

I understand Honda's attempts at weight-saving on the S2000, but come on... to make a dipstick so thin that you can't clearly see the level is a bit daft to say the least!

In the end I decided to rub my finger on various parts of it to see if it had left any oil on it. That was literally the only way I could ascertain whether I had got the level right. Is it my fading eyesight (well, I am now 50 after all ), the fact that oil is becoming more translucent, or what, but I seriously could not see any level?? Even now I'm not totally convinced, but as sure as I can be. After lying in bed last night worrying about it, I decided to recheck this morning before taking it for a blast - filled with new Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5W/40 (although kind of wished I gone for the Race Pro S ester oil). The engine did sound as sweet as ever.

The other thing that has been a cause for discussion on the US site is the amount of oil that is needed for a change. Mine took about 5.6 litres to take it to the top of the x's (I think!), but this was after a 2 hour drain (plus Honda filter). It seems to vary quite considerably from engine to engine (or maybe it's just how long people leave the oil draining for). I must admit to being a bit OCD about this, and jack the car up to various positions to allow as much of it to drain out as possible.

Anyway, any simple dipstick mods would be greatly appreciated, as it surely can't be right that it takes almost as long to read the level as it does to perform the sodding oil change!!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you
Put in 5 litres when changing oil after the winter storage and just hoped it would change color soon so i could top of if needed.
Castrol Magnatec professional is supposed to have a green dye, i guess that would make it easier
Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe some reading glasses

I hear you though
Old 06-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Nothing wrong with the dipstick, (not the one in the engine at least) I can still read it with Castrol edge and thats practically clear. When did you put the 5.6L in, did you start with 5.5L run the car to warm then let it settle before adding extra? It's amasing how long it takes cold oil to make its way into the sump.

Should have gone to Specsavers.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 PM
Al2

Originally Posted by richmc
Nothing wrong with the dipstick, (not the one in the engine at least)
Predictable Not the concensus on the US site , as I've read it's fairly common knowledge how useless it is. Someone even wrapped brown tape round it to make it clearer to read!
Ok, admittedly I do wear glasses for reading, but my eyes aren't that bad as the lenses are fairly weak, and no...I don't need stronger lenses, they're fine

5.6l was what it took in total, after running the engine, starting with about 5.3l. Think I've done enough oil changes over the years to understand that! The reason the engine is run is to fill the filter and circulate the oil, as the level will always drop in my experience by about 0.3l after running to normal temperature from cold after an oil and filter change. After running it, I always wait a couple of minutes before checking the level to allow it to settle, as there will be a certain amount of aeration immediately after running.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

I use a thin paper towel and press against the dip stick then just check how far it's wet
You need to be careful not to move it though.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:31 AM

Are oils getting more transparent and impossible to see? It seems that they are.

I share the OP's pain. I did mine last weekend, but just couldn't see a thing on the dipstick. In the end as I knew I'd put in 5.5L and a bit, none of it had leaked, and I've done the same lots of times before, I just assumed it was okay.

After a week I can just about see the oil if I hold it out in daylight. It's still very annoying though.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 AM

oil manufacturers could do with adding a dye to their product.
I think Rpyal Purple do (purple, oddly enough)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Nothing wrong with the dipstick, (not the one in the engine at least).
Should have gone to Specsavers.
I must admit, I did chuckle.

I have no issues reading the level, it simply requires good light.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:32 AM

I have no issues seeing the X marks and oil level. I use Solkolene (Fuchs) Pro S. Try looking at Porsche 993 dipstick - they are a bugger even with red-coloured Fuchs Pro R.

Quick Reply: Rubbish dipstick!