UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof up/down while driving slow?

Old 09-03-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Roof up/down while driving slow?

Don't you think that having to be completely stationary with the handbrake on to raise or lower the roof is a bit much?

Has anyone got around this by removing a relay/fuse or something?

I know the new Boxster allows the roof to go up and down at up to 32mph...which seems sensible. I would love to be able to do this.

Cheers,

Al.

PS. Apologies for all the questions today...I'm a newbie
Old 09-03-2005, 05:40 AM

I saw the Boxster's roof being demonstrated on some TV programme or other and I noticed that they've designed it's roof to not go much higher than the top of the windscreen, hence not causing much drag - it almost slides back then folds.

The S2000's roof goes a fair way up in the air when folding; higher than the top of the windscreen, so it would cause some major drag, even a lower speeds and I'd rather not risk damaging the fabric in a parachute fashion.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to the handbrake connection, I believe there's a connection taking a speed pulse from the engine or dash. I know several owners have disconnected this and can use the roof on the move. No need to worry about the handbrake as applying it 1/4 gives no braking but kids the sensor.

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Personally I can't see why you want to do other than to pose, in which case, you belong in a Boxster ...
Old 09-03-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Sep 3 2005, 02:44 PM
Personally I can't see why you want to do other than to pose, in which case, you belong in a Boxster ...
Old 09-03-2005, 05:47 AM

My friend. I just drove my 2003 S2000 back from the shops as I pulled into my street I put the hood up whilst still doing 20mph. Wanna know how

Basically, there is a hood control module under the dash on the passenger side. Two of the wires going into it are of concern to you. One is from a handbrake sensor the other is from the speed sensor. I've cut the speed sensor such that long as the handbrake one is on a notch (not enough to engage the brake really) the roof can be opperated. You can cut/remove both but then the hood button would be live all the time at all speeds and I'd rather have the safety net of having to pull the hanny on a notch. Best mod I've ever made to the car and took 5 minutes.

There is a thread with pictures telling you how to do it. Have a search for it and if you get lost I'm sure someone will help

P.S. If you do this then I'd recommend a self imposed speed limit of absolutely NO MORE than 20mph and less in gusty conditions. I generally aim for around 15 or less.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:52 AM

Whatever floats your boat, I suppose. Personally I can't see why you want to do other than to pose, in which case, you belong in a Boxster ...
I get caught in 5-10mph crawling traffic most days and its much better not having to stop everyone for 10s if it starts raining. Also the other day I was driving down the bypass in the rain (some very odd looks there) but it got very heavy and was coming over the top of the windows. I dived for the hard shoulder, dropped to 20mph, hammered the roof up and then vteced back into the traffic. In all I lost about 4-5 car places which is impressive given the traffic is moving at 60. If your S2000 is a weekend toy its probably not worth it.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:41 AM

Personally I can't see why you want to do other than to pose, in which case, you belong in a Boxster ...

I use my car every week and it's impossible in a 5-10mph queue of traffic (yep every bloody week on the M25 ) to put the roof up and down...something I never had a problem with in the old MX5 turbo....although that was a cheap and nasty manual roof (before anyone else says it)

Thanks a lot for the tip about the module I'll definitely look into that

Cheers,

Al.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:42 AM

Something I have been meaning to get around too.. I am all too often crawling when I would love to operate the roof.

Z4 also allows it and I think the roof lifts quite high on that car.

Pose factor - ??? nah I dont really think it is pose factor at all, I would imagine most non convvertable owners would assume it would work whilst rolling?
Old 09-03-2005, 03:27 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138773

Great little mod
Old 09-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the mod a few months back after getting drowned on the last Blurter meet.
It's saved me from further drenchings a couple of times since then.(Wasn't quite fast enough on the NE&Borders Meet...... We're droont man ah tell yah, droont!)

I have to own up to liking the pose factor as you slide into a parking space and the top drops home just as you come to a stop.

Quick Reply: Roof up/down while driving slow?