UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof Seal Leak

Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Seal Leak

Thought I'd cracked this by blocking the rail but it's back with a vengance and waiting to drench unsuspecting passengers when you least expect! Has anyone tried injecting silicone or a very viscous grease into the seals? I'm not sure whether water collects on the chamber of the seal or in the roof rail, but i suspect this might be a quick and easy fix to prevent water in the rubber chamber.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 AM

Your seals may be getting a bit hard. Rub some silicone based grease into the rubber and let it soak in. It'll help to swell the seal back to it's correct size.

Check that the drains in the A post seal have not become blocked. They are a complex shape. There is also (or should be) a small rubber insert in each of these near the top of the screen to hold the drain open. It can get pushed out of place.

Check you don't have worn roof catches.

However you should note that the S2000 is prone to dumping a puddle of water into the lap of unsuspecting occupants in wet weather as you open or close the doors.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:13 AM

I have had this problem on and off with my S2000 for the last 3 months.

I have greased the seals as described above, plus I have tried packing the recess between rail and seal with the same shin-etsu grease, but to no avail. At the same time I inspected, greased and massaged the A pillar seals.

All in all, no joy. It just seems that if you put the roof up, then raise the window, it leaks. If you close the roof, open the door, raise the window and THEN close the door... it leaks less, but still not a perfect fit.

I think a lot of it has to do with the exact alignment of the seal on the track, and hence the way it seals to the window, as there is a certain amount of play there. Hopefully some experimentation may yield a result.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have a gap in the seal on the drivers side but amazingly, it doesn't leak. (touches wood)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 AM

What I thought had fixed it was to tuck the seal up against the door window, particularly where the join is. Became a habbit to lean across and push it up with my finger. I'm sure this helped for a while. I'll look for the drains as I wasn't aware of these? Are the A post seals at the join with the windscreen?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by aldfort,Jul 22 2009, 12:37 PM
Check you don't have worn roof catches.

Also very easy to make your catches adjustable - see my sig

The roof catches slowly wear and the roof lifts on all the seals, replacing them and/or making the catches adjustable pulls the roof down onto the seals like it was when new and tight - better seal all around and less wind noise too.

Seals have adjustable s/s carriers - make sure they are all touching the windows correctly and ends are butting together.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 AM

I have the same problem SDR. When ever the car was sat stationary for a while water would collect somewhere and as soon as I moved the car the passenger would get a very wet lap. So I got home this evening and covered all my rubber seals with a silicone grease (from a dive shop). Fingers crossed this sorts it out as I'd not done mine for a while.

Don't be tempted to use Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly as it will eat your seals

Might try to find that drain hole aldfort speaks of on the a pillar.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM

j8mie did it fix it for you?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 AM

must try this, my seals i reckon have never been "fed" so i`ll give that a go...

at the minute i`m just getting used to getting wet.

I have modified my latches, ghetto style with some thick cable ties and the wind noise is gone.

this may be stupid, but has anyone replaced their seals? if i`m buying a new roof I dont really want a nice new hood and still get drenched
Old 09-02-2009, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by OLLIeCRX,Sep 1 2009, 10:07 AM

this may be stupid, but has anyone replaced their seals? if i`m buying a new roof I dont really want a nice new hood and still get drenched
Yes I changed them on my old 01 S, took it to Honda after trying all the tricks and grease's, I cant remember how much but it wasnt cheep, AND it didnt 100% work.......I cant give you a full report as it fell off the road soon after