UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof leaks when opening

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm starting to think that the hole g9285 plugged is also where the water enters if not at the seal with the windscreen surround. It would explain why water only seems to enter if parked on the level or facing downhill. The water seeps between the front and rear seals (above side windows) where the foam has worn away and runs into that hole and sits in the channel till you move off/open the roof.

I've plugged mine up and added some foam between the seals to replace the foam that has worn away.

Will let you know how I get on when it rains next.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha this bugged me constantly, resorted to parking facing up a hill etc...

Everytime it did leak it would be passenger side, which either just splashed on the seat or all over the girlfriend haha.

Resorted to buying a hardtop and fitting kit....resolved.

I'll keep an eye on this thread though, as when the sunny weather comes back it'll be nice to sort out.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've just seen post 20, above (https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/819...t__p__19583485). looks like i need some bits!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to fix this on mine too ... maybe some sealant or waterproof glue in the hole perhaps tomorrow as the 'strips and glue' didn't appear to work for K nor others that tried.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mines started, its driving me up the wall
Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by s2konroids
Mines started, its driving me up the wall
Heh heh I wonder why it does it ... and I think every car seems to have this problem, hard top and garages excluded of course ... very strange.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Mine's a 2002 and I started to get this problem on the passenger side after about 5 years. I tried every trick described here and in other places, nothing worked. This spring I had a new roof fitted at Carhood Warehouse. I mentioned the waterleak to the fitter and he promised to have a look. After a while he showed me the rubber mouldings weren't sited properly in the channels. He resited them properly and problem gone! Maybe they come off the channels after a few years being pushed off when the roof gets raised?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM

S2000 roof leak solution

I’ve been experiencing a similar leaking roof for a while, and unable to determine how water is collecting in the U channel in the roof frame on the passenger (Left) side of the car. After many alternatives were eliminated, the canvas remained as the culprit. Eventually I noticed a wet patch on the inside that ran parallel to the lower edge of the roof. Beginning at a small crack in the canvas and heading towards the front of the car. The water didn’t wick up, or towards the back, just uniform flow towards the front, I first mistook it for dried OEM sealant, until I blotted it with paper. After sealing the small cracks on the roof with flexible adhesive the leaking has ended. Three rain storms later in chicago and it's bone dry inside, see pictures below:

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 PM

What flexible sealant did you use? I assume you just seal the cracks?

This looks like it might be the culprit as I, like yourself, could not figure out how water was getting in (certainly not from where the roof meets the window frame.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:48 PM

I used Liquid Nails Clear Small Projects Silicone Adhesive by ICI to cover the cracks. Five rain storms now, and it's still working.
www.liquidnails.com

I hope this helps

Quick Reply: Roof leaks when opening