UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof leaks when opening

Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

just wanted to add the troubles I've had with my roof and how I believe I have fixed it. Those in London yesterday would about the freak thunderstorm which was more than enough rain to carry out a thorough test.

Since I've purchased the car in November, the issue I've had was every time after it rains quite heavily, water would "fall" onto the passengers head when I drove off. Funny at first until my car got the reputation as the "fish tank".

Steps I've tried:

1. Take it to Honda as I had Approved Used Warranty. Paid them £50 diagnosis only to be told its not covered as roof seals were damaged by foreign matter, foreign matter being water?? or something along those lines. The car actually came back in a worse state in that it now leaks even when stationary. I also noticed they have adjusted the window to press up right into the seal.

2. I decided to do a blanket repair and purchased all 3 seals along the l/h/s at the top of the roof aswell as hard top striker plates as recommended by a few people on here. At the same time I also readjusted the window so that it was similar to the drivers side. I also applied silicone grease to the seals. This improved it some, probably returning it to a similar state as before taking it to Honda. However, I was obviously still disappointed spending so much money and it's still leaking!

3. I then did some research on here and followed a similar step to kmcknight2001uk's method. I applied a black tacky product called Dum Dum onto the seal instead. This product had written on the tin "Stop Vibrations, Stop Leaks!" This was something I had left over from the days I used to work in a garage so I have no idea where to purchase it from. Again this didn't seem to do much for me either.

4. Treated the roof about 3 times with roof treatment (I can't remember the product I'm using but its in the garage). Water now definitely "beads"rather than soaks now. Waited for the next spot of rain and the situation was still the same - leaks when pulling away.

5. I did however, notice that the water was somehow collected in the U shaped rail ABOVE the seal and there is a hole towards the rear of it which seems to make sense as thats where it exits when I move off. I decided that if I could not stop it collecting I can stop it exiting and plugged the hole and the entire area around it with Dum Dum. I've washed it several times and no leaks but I wasn't 100% sure as it usually needs a good hour long soaking.

6. After last nights rainstorm, I checked it again in the morning. No wet patch on the carpet or seat even when I drive off. I even opened the hood so the rail becomes vertical and somehow I've stopped the water from collecting in the rail completely.

Understandably as these things go the problem may return with a different rainstorm and so I wouldn't say its a 100% fix. I still have some of the Dum Dum stuff left so if anybody is near me (Ilford, Essex) wants to give it a go your more than welcome. Also being a newbie I'm unable to/not sure how to upload a few photos I've taken too so apologies for that.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good tips there, g9285.

mine leaks too, so I tend to park the S nose-up which stops the seal from filling in the first place. it's a temporary solution until i cba to fix it properly.
maybe i'll do it along with the roof mod-while-moving fix later this week..
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

Plugging the U shape works where it exits.

The issue is the water is most likely building up in there still!

I've tried-

new seals
regressed seals
foam patches around seal as pictured
tightened catches

and I still have the same leak, I think possibly the roof needs treatment to deflect water rather than soak it up?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Can you post pictures of this dumdum

thanks

Originally Posted by g9285
Hi all,

just wanted to add the troubles I've had with my roof and how I believe I have fixed it. Those in London yesterday would about the freak thunderstorm which was more than enough rain to carry out a thorough test.

Since I've purchased the car in November, the issue I've had was every time after it rains quite heavily, water would "fall" onto the passengers head when I drove off. Funny at first until my car got the reputation as the "fish tank".

Steps I've tried:

1. Take it to Honda as I had Approved Used Warranty. Paid them £50 diagnosis only to be told its not covered as roof seals were damaged by foreign matter, foreign matter being water?? or something along those lines. The car actually came back in a worse state in that it now leaks even when stationary. I also noticed they have adjusted the window to press up right into the seal.

2. I decided to do a blanket repair and purchased all 3 seals along the l/h/s at the top of the roof aswell as hard top striker plates as recommended by a few people on here. At the same time I also readjusted the window so that it was similar to the drivers side. I also applied silicone grease to the seals. This improved it some, probably returning it to a similar state as before taking it to Honda. However, I was obviously still disappointed spending so much money and it's still leaking!

3. I then did some research on here and followed a similar step to kmcknight2001uk's method. I applied a black tacky product called Dum Dum onto the seal instead. This product had written on the tin "Stop Vibrations, Stop Leaks!" This was something I had left over from the days I used to work in a garage so I have no idea where to purchase it from. Again this didn't seem to do much for me either.

4. Treated the roof about 3 times with roof treatment (I can't remember the product I'm using but its in the garage). Water now definitely "beads"rather than soaks now. Waited for the next spot of rain and the situation was still the same - leaks when pulling away.

5. I did however, notice that the water was somehow collected in the U shaped rail ABOVE the seal and there is a hole towards the rear of it which seems to make sense as thats where it exits when I move off. I decided that if I could not stop it collecting I can stop it exiting and plugged the hole and the entire area around it with Dum Dum. I've washed it several times and no leaks but I wasn't 100% sure as it usually needs a good hour long soaking.

6. After last nights rainstorm, I checked it again in the morning. No wet patch on the carpet or seat even when I drive off. I even opened the hood so the rail becomes vertical and somehow I've stopped the water from collecting in the rail completely.

Understandably as these things go the problem may return with a different rainstorm and so I wouldn't say its a 100% fix. I still have some of the Dum Dum stuff left so if anybody is near me (Ilford, Essex) wants to give it a go your more than welcome. Also being a newbie I'm unable to/not sure how to upload a few photos I've taken too so apologies for that.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Here you go r8byb:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...1&s=automotive

My tins exactly the same. Regarding the water still collecting, I did suspect that but I kept an eye on it while opening the roof, surely it'll tip out if its in there cos that piece turns through 180 degrees. I'm not saying I definitely fixed it but IF I have, applying the Dum Dum at that region might also have stopped it entering? I'm not sure. I need another thorough downpour as mine didn't leak except in very heavy rain.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:54 PM

My cousin on itr-dc2 just showed me how to do the photos. So here's some more.

This one is just to show the consistency of the Dum Dum:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here's to show the surface I applied the stuff (I took this pic quickly in a rush, hence the roof is still closed):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-24-2011, 12:42 PM

Recently my driver side spills water when pulling off after a downpour! Water gathering in the metal channel above the rubber seal.....!

Its not a good look having a wet shoulder going to work....(or when I realised I needed to fix this quick) thankfully when travelling home...having water narrowly miss my shoulder, spilling onto my drivers seat wetting my trousers (yep wifey in hysterical laughter).

I can see this is 'common' fault from this thread...I'm going to try tackle this problem (using any / all methods described here)...I'll let you know if I have any success....
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 AM

Has anyone else had any luck fixing this issue with any of the methods described above?

I've done everything besides this ellusive "Dum Dum" - although like some others not sure if i'm happy with the water just filling up the rails - at least when it leaks out it drys out afterwards?

Cheers

Brent
Old 09-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

I was thinking it could be coming in the screw hole at the front of the seal. Need to have a proper look now mine has become much worse. Frustrating!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:33 AM

i too am struggling to work our where the water enters/exits on the seal.
i've had the front side seal off and it all seems fine.

what i cant work out is how it even enters the seal when the car is parked downhill. it takes next to no incline to fill yet i par thr ecar the other way around and i dont have any issue. (something like 3-4" slope over 12ft)

Quick Reply: Roof leaks when opening