UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof leaks when opening

Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Jan 19 2011, 11:51 AM
May main question is, to kmcknight2001uk if he's still reading? , is exactly where do you apply the foam tape to? The rubber unit that comes off OR the roof? Then reapply the rubber unit which then joins to the foam tape? Should I also do something to the "thin end" of the rubber unit in case water is getting in there?
Yep, I'm still keeping an eye on this thread as my drivers side is now leaking!
Haven't had any time what so ever to take a look on the drivers side though!

In answer to your question I applied the foam tape to the whole highlighted yellow area on the rubber unit that comes off the roof in the image below. Looking back, it may be worth applying new foam tape to the blue sections as well. Don't worry if when you screw the rubber back in place to the roof that there may be a slight gape, once the foam settles and gets squashed (when the roof is up) the gap will become unnoticeable and hopefully provide a tighter fit. But don't go OTT applying the foam tape either. You just want enough foam tape to cover/fill gapes or irregular areas that could potentially collect water where the old foam has failed. Remember you are trying to stop any water that could potentially find it's way to the metal channel and into the car.

I may have been just lucky. It might have been that I managed to glue up a gape/hole when gluing the two rubber seals together as they were coming apart.

Hope that helps Dracoro .... Good luck with it!

K.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Thanks! I wasn't clear if you put the foam tape on the rail or the rubber unit, now it makes sense.

Did you stick any foam tape the other other end of the rubber unit?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Jan 20 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks! I wasn't clear if you put the foam tape on the rail or the rubber unit, now it makes sense.

Did you stick any foam tape the other other end of the rubber unit?
I didn't put anything at the other end of the rubber unit as mine was attached to the roof buy a piece of rubber anyway. The only area I touched was what's visible (yellow highlighted area) you see in the image above.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM

UPDATE:

I think the key here (as well as doing the fix) is *really* making sure that the seal seats in lengthwise in the channels properly.

I gave that another go to make sure and it all looks good.

Left car outside for the past 2 weeks (so enough rain to test etc.) both parked up and down hill (drive is on a very slight slope) and no water leak when opening the roof!

Let's hope it stays that way! The next real test is a real heavy downpour. I have it on my list to properly clean my cars this weekend so that will make doubly sure!

Thanks for all your pictorial diagrams and help kmcknight2001uk!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update:

Just in case anyone finds it useful after my first attempt failed I had a think about it, and decided to replace the front striker plates. I found a scrapped S2000 down the local scrap yard and noticed it's striker plates where a slightly different design to mine (must have changed them from 04 onwards).

I swapped them over a couple of weeks back, and in that time we've had some rain, and I've washed the car at least once and no sign of any water leaks when I pull away or when I put the roof down.

Fingers crossed.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dracoro,Feb 9 2011, 03:43 PM
I think the key here (as well as doing the fix) is *really* making sure that the seal seats in lengthwise in the channels properly.
Dracoro makes a very valid and good point! Yes, it's important to emphasise on the final step as pictured:

Make sure all is tight and snug lengthwise against the channels properly. I pressed the rubber seal in and upwards movement against the roof across the full length to ensure it was correctly in place and had a tight/snug fit.

I'm glad it's helped some people on here. My drivers side is still leaking, but I haven't had any free time to sort it out or even look at it. Still, my passenger side is still dry as a bone!

K.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:33 AM

[QUOTE=j8mie,Feb 10 2011, 02:10 AM] Update:

Just in case anyone finds it useful after my first attempt failed I had a think about it, and decided to replace the front striker plates.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Update:

Would you f**king believe it!!!

I got home from work today to find a load of water on my passenger seat, so it looks like replacing the striker plates has made bugger all difference. I think this is something I'm just going to have to live with
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jamie, your not the only one mate .

I thought i had sorted it a few month back no dripping at all, I put the roof down about 2 week ago and from then on its back with vengeance!
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 AM

I've had the very same problem with my roof leaking for ages now & here's what i've tried so far:

- Bought Shit Etsu grease = No Joy (but does come in useful later)

- Packed the striker plates off the frame with some washers & put some rubber hosing around the catch pins = Did actually help a bit, but still leaked.

- Tried my best to do the fix above = Made the whole thing a hell of a lot worse !!! (prob me or just my roof tho, not saying this would be for everyone).

- LATEST MOD Took the catches off & extended the holes leaving some of the washers on the strikers to pack off as well & covered everything in shin etsu again.

RESULT - Well I must admit extending the holes on the catches has meant that operating the catches requires quite a bit more force - but it certainly makes the roof seal against the frame a hell of a lot tighter.

So far had some rain & a few showers with no leaks - so fingers crossed i might have solved the issue.

I'll let you know when we've had our first down pour tho ;-) As next step is to try & repeat steps as above with a different foam (as dont think my draft excluder 15x4mm stuff was any good last time) & should that fail look at adjusting the the angle of the window glass.

Just thought it best to give something back for once ;-)

Quick Reply: Roof leaks when opening