UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof leaks when opening

Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTT, anyone?

As I say, the main thing I want to know is where/how water is getting in.

I will test water ingress with the car both uphill/downhill, this may answer some questions?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

As far as I can see the only place it can get in as at the front where the roof meets the windscreen surround?? Lots of fiddling hasn't stopped mine. Hardtop is on now though so problem temporarily solved.

Next thing for me to try will be what Irvatron suggested I think a page or two back and coat the foam in silicone and then refit so hopefully any small gaps will be filled.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to have another look at this leaking roof problem yesterday. The above method didn't not seem to work, so I opted for another approach.

I tracked down which hole the water was leaking from the seal, and decided to fill the end of the hole with Black Witch glue. This blocks off the hole so the water can not leak into the car.

I pulled away in my car this morning and nothing leaked into the car, so this may have fixed it. I'll report back in time after we've had some more rain.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM

Which hole?

I think I can see where the water collects (then comes out when you pull away/down the roof), what I can't see is how it gets in there.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 AM

Sorry to hear my suggestion hasn't helped many people on here...

Seems a common problem, but with water being water it's never so straight forward. Just for reference my fix on the passenger side was a success for me and it still hasn't leaked even after all the snow and heavy rain we've had.

Just to note, my drivers side has now started leaking, but it isn't showing the same symptoms as the passenger side! Go figure!

The drivers side leaks a few drops which land on my right hand (when on the steering wheel) when I first drive the car and break.

Once I get some free time, I'll take it apart and see where the water is collecting.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 AM

On mine, I can see where it is collecting, just no how it gets there!

I followed your instructions but couldn't get the tape you used (I prefer to avoid ebay) anywhere. I used some other tape and lots of BW (after using a moderate amount failed) and it still happened - it got worse if anything.

My "suspicion" is that it's coming in halfway along the top of the passenger window where the two seals join and happens when the car is slightly pointing downwards (although even on the flat is still happens) and it collects in the rail.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The water will leak in two main places, at the point where the seal meets the top of the A-Pillar and at the join in the two seals.

My guess is that water is supposed to run along/through the seals and then run down the A-Pillar or at the back of the rear seal (hope that makes sense).

For whatever reason, water get's trapped within the seals and cannot escape where it's supposed to.

Making sure the join between the roof and the A-pillar is tight will remove most of the problems IMO, as it has the effect of making the other leaky seal tighter as well.

Grease and silicone spray on the rubbers certainly helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:50 AM

kmcknight2001uk - I think it's just one of those things. What works for one person doesn't work for someone else. Thanks for making the effort to post up your solution on here

When I get a chance after work I'll try a photo of the hole I blocked up and post it in this thread. I'm not 100% sure this will sort my problem but it rained last night and no water leaked into my car this morning when I pulled away.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Scrub that folks. My "solution" didn't work either. Back to the drawing board

With all the recent heavy rain this is really becoming an issue for me, and if it continues I'm going to have to fit my HT gggrrrrrrr.............
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm giving this another go as I'm not sure I got the instructions from kmcknight2001uk quite right.

I was putting (probably unsuitable) tape on the *rubber seal*. I now have the proper tape kmcknight2001uk suggested rather than trying stuff that wouldn't work. A new tube of black witch too as I ended up plastering it everywhere in the hope of creating a seal!

May main question is, to kmcknight2001uk if he's still reading? , is exactly where do you apply the foam tape to? The rubber unit that comes off OR the roof? Then reapply the rubber unit which then joins to the foam tape? Should I also do something to the "thin end" of the rubber unit in case water is getting in there?

Quick Reply: Roof leaks when opening