UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof leak continues!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof leak continues!

Right I'm getting severely f@#ked off with this now. I've put a new seal on and the leak is still coming out exactly the same place, the join between, the 2 rubbers above the door. (See picture) So I really don't know where else to go with it now?

Any suggestions or am I looking at having to fork out for a new roof and have done with it?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Two words

Jack Smiths
Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM

Thinking that's the case
Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM

I got a new roof hoping it would fix the issue and it didn't, just saying in case its something else!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was watching wheeler dealers once and Ed china was sorting a leak ,but to find it he hired some sort of smoke machine,put it on the seat and shut the door and hey presto you could see strait the way where it was coming from.plus after playing with the door seal he then could test if the fix worked with the machine instead of risking soaking inside the car

It was the show with the Aston Martin i think? Sure it's on YouTube
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that finding the location is an issue, but if it were, lighting a fag up with the windows and roof up would be cheaper than hiring a smoke machine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-15-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Fag? Time to call AJ!

There's plenty of info on how to fix this - a new roof isn't required unless you have physical holes in the main roof material. If new seals haven't fixed it then you either have the seals sat incorrectly or the water is leaching in from the leading edge of the roof - plenty of pictures on how to fix that.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 AM

I wouldn't "waste" hundreds getting a new until you've exhausted the free options.

I had the problem for ages, tried a few things. Finally sorted it as per this thread:
Fix leaking roof
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Wah

Originally Posted by DanielSan
Right I'm getting severely f@#ked off with this now. I've put a new seal on and the leak is still coming out exactly the same place, the join between, the 2 rubbers above the door. (See picture) So I really don't know where else to go with it now?

Any suggestions or am I looking at having to fork out for a new roof and have done with it?
I had exactly this problem this year. It started suddenly when the car hit about 5 years old.
I greased all the seals with Shinetsu; no change.
I replaced the striker plates; no change.
Then I finally got around to fitting a roof elastic replacement kit from 'Richmc' which I had purchased to make the roof fold down properly again.
SORTED!
The new elastic pulls the join where the water pours onto your shoulder closer together, like it was when the roof elastic was new, making it water-tight again. If you pull your roof elastic and it's slack, replace it.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 AM

Ah, that could be the cause of my leak as I think when it was replaced they didn't put the elastic back in, and previously it would have had very old elastic - how exactly do you fit it and where did you get it from? Someone on here?

Quick Reply: Roof leak continues!