UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rockingham trackday in the wet... [vid]

Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Andy

Great video - just curious if you know if your cars geometry is all spot on? Will an S2000 with bang on geo be this slippy in the wet or can geo make this more of a battle in the wet? The reason I ask is I am considering a track day but don't fancy that much wheel work!
Old 04-10-2015, 02:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedonboost
Hi Andy

Great video - just curious if you know if your cars geometry is all spot on? Will an S2000 with bang on geo be this slippy in the wet or can geo make this more of a battle in the wet? The reason I ask is I am considering a track day but don't fancy that much wheel work!
The geometry is spot on to factory settings, all but the front caster which is 1 degree below bottom tolerance due to a seized compliance bush - so I had both sides set to the same to even it up (changing the bushes soon). This won't reduce grip though, just take away a bit of steering feel.

Rockingham is a bit of an anomaly in the wet. I've driven there in 2 cars now in both wet and dry conditions and it really is horrendous when wet. The Rockingham 'wet grip' course has more grip than the track itself when it rains! This is only the second track day I've done in the S2k, the previous one being Cadwell which was also wet in the morning and it was no where near as slippy as Rockingham. Racetracks are normally worse than the road in the wet due to rubber laid down, but if it rains, go slow and build up the speed slowly and you'll be ok. I don't mind going the speeds I did as I'm used to it, I could have gone a lot slower although it wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun.

There's also a couple of things you can do to mitigate the low grip - drop your pressures and try to take a 'wet line', ie, avoid the standard racing line as much as possible where all the rubber is and where the tarmac is more polished.

Basically, don't be worried and take it slow, build up the pace gradually. You'll be fine. That said, the S2k is certainly one of the more tail happy cars I've driven on track.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:11 AM

Thanks Andy, I used to take my E30 with a welder up to DWYB and the S2k seems more likely to drift than the E30!
Old 04-10-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hookedonboost
Thanks Andy, I used to take my E30 with a welder up to DWYB and the S2k seems more likely to drift than the E30!
Ha, if you've done that then you've got nothing to worry about!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 AM

My E30 was £500 and the S2000 is pretty mint so didn't care if I hit something in the beemer but would cry if I ran out of talent on a track with Armco!!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele
Ice rink !

i want a go !
so do I
Old 04-11-2015, 10:17 AM

Some great control, but i would almost feel robbed ifi had to drive Rockingham again that carefully. I was only breaking traction on the hairpin before the first pit entry! Managed to crack my OEM front passenger disc too

Unfortunately my camera failed on the afternoon track so i only have the International track with my moment;Rockingham International circuit, Trackday 07.03.1: https://youtu.be/prBhMXELEp8