UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Road Angel Laser add-on

Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your interested specifcally in the SPEC's system then: http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

Read it and be afraid, very afraid....
Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 AM

ANPR is used to determine Reg, and link to the DVLA for names / address etc, but to determine speed, a laser is used to identify the speed on the first camera and then again on the second, the average speed using the speed / distance/ time is used blah blah. You can clearly see the many lasers sitting underneath the cameras.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:07 AM

go http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs.htm here for some excellent docs on SPECS with info regarding new installations etc.

There is also a pic on the page and you can see the multiple lasers sitting either side of the cameras.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:09 AM

From the specs link I sent out previously:
"The all seeing all knowing Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SPECS System, it's thousands of times more efficient than the existing systems.

Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, is a state of the art video system with number plate recognition built in. Consisting of two Video cameras each fitted with Infra Red Illuminators. They are fitted at the roadside a set distance apart, on a SPECS column, on a bridge or any fixing point for that.

Linked together via computer they take an image of every vehicle that passes by, speeding or not. They then by number plate recognition pair up the images on the video of matching number plates and because each image has a date and time stamp, again readable by the computer. The computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered.

If you have exceeded the set speed limit, this might not be the posted speed, but a speed higher than that. I.e. Posted is 70 mph, prosecution speed is 80 mph, then your vehicle will be flagged up by the computer that then gets the owner/driver details from the DVLA computer, and then automatically prints out a Notice of Intended Prosecution, NIP. (This can be automated)

This can either be done in an instant, i.e. the computer is linked from the roadside via optic fibre phone line to a central office or the information will be stored on disk for collection and processing at a later date. "

No mention of lasers, I'm pretty sure what your talking about is the infra-red emmitters.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by shortbloke
No mention of lasers, I'm pretty sure what your talking about is the infra-red emmitters.

SPECS doesn't rely on lasers. The only gizmo that is going to protect you against them is a GPS-based system.

For quite some time, there was a SPECS system near me while roadworks were going on. My Road Angel would warn my about it, but not a peep from my Valentine One. I was told by a traffic copper that the pods either side of the "main" unit on the SPECS system are IR units to allow it to work at night. That's consistent with what shortbloke posted above.

ANPR is something distinct from SPECS. That DOES set the V1 off. Each of the junctions on the M42 near me has an ANPR on the on and off sliproads. The V1 squawks at every time I get onto or off the motorway. ANPR is not to do with traffic enforcement - it's to let Dibble keep an eye out for vehicles flagged on the database as having been used in crime, known to be driven by known criminals or otherwise worthy of attention.

I discussed it was the traffic copper who came out to my prang last year on the M6 in the context of my slightly naughty number plate. He told me he didn't have a problem with it but that it could cause me difficuties with ANPR since it might not immediately be able to recognise it and therefore flag the car up to be stopped on sight.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 AM

Yep, I agree, after reading a bit further into this it does appear that they are infrared thingies to help the camera take pics at night! Well, maybe the RA Laser Add-on does work. I am off to find a mobile unit around Notts to test it!

I have also just spent a load of time researching SPECs and not working ahhh I love this site
Old 09-27-2003, 08:25 AM

I know this is an old thread, but have got a couple more questions, if you don't mind for those with a RA (Moff?) ...

How well does it 'fit' in the S, given the location of the cigar lighter ? Does the power cabley thing reach the dash without looking like a clothes-line ?

And, given my technical abilities and DIY skills are perhaps best described as 'limited', how easy is it to install ? Can I just plug&pray ?

Does anyone happen to have any pics of the RA in situ ?

Cheers.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robdownes
How well does it 'fit' in the S, given the location of the cigar lighter ? Does the power cabley thing reach the dash without looking like a clothes-line ?

And, given my technical abilities and DIY skills are perhaps best described as 'limited', how easy is it to install ? Can I just plug&pray ?
Old 09-28-2003, 12:11 PM
PXE

moff - I found a tv remote will set off a laser detector if you want to test it
Old 09-28-2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by moff ...I am off to find a mobile unit around Notts to test it!
On this Saturday and the week before, I have passed a mobile unit on the A6005 between Draycott and Breaston and then between Breatson and Long Eaton. At about 11:30am.

They seem to be moving further towards Nottingham each week.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Road Angel Laser add-on