UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Road Angel Laser add-on

Old 08-27-2003, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Angel Laser add-on

Is anyone using the laser adapter thingy with their RA?

I am, but I am very unsure to whether it actually works or not as I am unable to test it

I was driving in the Peaks at the weekend and came around a corner to find a large police van with camera like things pointing at me. I don't know if they were laser devices, but I got no reaction from my RA.

I know that it only takes 1 second for the laser device to get a reading and there is not too much scatter from laser, but it would be good to know as if I knew there was a laser pointed at me, I wouldn't accelerate over the speed limit.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:24 PM

Hi Moff,

I have a road angel with the laser thingy bob, but I must admit I am not convinced by it. I also have a Bell 990 with laser, but never had the two go off together.

Cheers,
Old 08-27-2003, 02:30 PM

I have a more basic speed detector and tavelling along the A4 on Monday and went past a police van with a small hatch open in the rear. My detector saw nothing only doing 35 in a 50 due to a bit of traffic but nothing, not a squeak, can only think that they were looking for Tax Disc avoidance rather than speeding. They must use some other means of detection for this.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:37 AM

Moff,

I was toying with the idea of purchasing a Road Angel - woth the laser add-on; are you still sceptical as to its reliability ?
Old 09-25-2003, 06:21 AM

Still not too sure, I was driving on the M5 last week when from nowhere on full pelt the RA started beeping quickly with a max warning of 'Mobile'. I shat my self and braked from over 90 (km'h of course) to under 70 in seconds, much to the dismay of the drivers around me . Well, rather a bit of agro from them, than a hefty fine!

Still not sure what prompted it as I could not see anything. Its one of those things, bet if I take it off I will get nicked by a laser device

Rob, to answer your question, the Laser add-on is now free with all RA purchases. I can highly recommend the RA, it has been fantastic for me and a real license saver.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moff
Old 09-25-2003, 06:46 AM

When I changed my phone and its location in my Volvo it ended up being directly below my Bel Euro 550, and now it intermittently causes laser alerts to go off, move the phone no problems. Weird! Guess a bit too much RF sends the electronics a little screwy.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:51 AM

'Apparently' the RA laser add-on is meant to filter the crappy irrelevant laser?

Also, one thing that confuses me is why the laser add-on thing does not beep when I approach SPECS as they use laser?????
Old 09-25-2003, 06:54 AM

my Snooper 815 went mental when I passed a Surveyor using a laser thingy.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:01 AM

moff I didn't think specs used laser. My understanding is they are like digital video cameras which send the data to be processed by computers, which then do number plate recognition. When you then pass the next camera it determines your average speed between cameras. Either side of the SPECS camera are normally some infra-red illuminators so they can still clock you in the dark.

For more info on all things speed camera/detector related goto:
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk
and
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

Quick Reply: Road Angel Laser add-on