UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Road Angel I got 2!

Old 08-12-2003, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Angel I got 2!

thanks for all the recent advise. When it came down to it I opted for the 'proven' RA with Laser.

Well, Saturday was an interesting day. My gf borrowed the S for a quick trip to Lincoln and on her way back a b4$t4rd mobile camera got her at a slightly excessive speed of 99mph ( this was the fastest speed that she reached).

It was on a dual, with no other cars, no junctions and a brand new road with a revenue collecting git.

Should be interesting as the lease company will probably get a NIP for me for 87 on the A1 2 weeks ago and now another NIP which may also become a court appearance. They will think they are both for me!

Anyway because of this latest incident we decided to get one each! Haggled with Hellfords and got them for
Old 08-12-2003, 07:51 AM

Not to put a further downer on it but don't by any means rely on RA against mobile cameras.
Although I update regularly I've found it to be absolutely useless here (many mobiles) and usually run with just the BEL 550when travelling locally, which works well. Others have also mentioned that Blackspot aren't on the ball re. updating their master database.
I use a combination of BEL and RA for long journeys.

RA's included blue mat is usually adequate for dash mountings.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by W6DAN
[B]Not to put a further downer on it but don't by any means rely on RA against mobile cameras.
Although I update regularly I've found it to be absolutely useless here (many mobiles) and usually run with just the BEL 550when travelling locally, which works well.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by simmo
The only thing i can suggest that if you are travelling any where check the web sites first for camera locations.
I wonder how good Morpheous (http://www.morpheous.co.uk/morpheous.asp) are ? Of late, a number of new cameras have gone up, and they've always appeared after updating the device.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:32 PM

Understand the points made.

I knew in advance that the RA would not reliably detect mobile cameras. I am not interested in a radar detector as they are fairly useless in my experience. I would like to try a Valentine 1 but they are a bit pricey IMO.

I have heard lots of good reports also about the RA, so I will see how it goes before making a judgement. I have got a 14 day money back guarantee. Got some colleagues at work who use RA and they do approx. 50k per annum and have been impressed. But it would be good to hear from anyone who has used both RA and the Roadpilot.

The thing I like about the RA is its simplicity. I should imagine that if Blackspot are crap at updating their database, they will come in for some flack as they are the best and fastest selling speed camera locator.

Oh well, time will tell, but I am happy bunny so far

ps anyone actually used the laser bit against a *real* laser device?
Old 08-12-2003, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could stick the unit in place with one or two of those sticky Halfords pads for securing no plates. If you don't have a problem with leaving it on the dash all the time you could also use clear silicone sealant to keep it in place. That should scrape off easily when you want to get rid of it without leaving any marks.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

anyone know what the db maintenance is like for the Origin?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by W6DAN

RA's included blue mat is usually adequate for dash mountings.
In the S, do you guys use the windscreen mouting plate thing for the RA?

I have been using it but due to the curvature of the screen it needs to be about 6 inches from the right of the screen, would rather it be in the corner. Does placing it direct on the dash to the right of the instrament pod work, just using the blue pad, or will it fly off at the first sign of a corner..
Old 08-13-2003, 12:49 AM

Ian, the blue 'anti-slip' mat is sh*t. It slips and bounces all over with the mat.

I have set it up on the left handside and it looks really good. The curvature (is that a word?) is really bad there, but it can be done using a hairdryer!
All you need to do is heat up the plastic bracket and bed it to the curve of the windscreen. The plactic bracket is now resting on the dash and I have used the blue mat underneath to secure it further. I will try and take a pic this evening if someone can host it?

What does everyone do when they leave the car? I know put my roof up all of the time and leave the RA in, but I am a bit concerned about doing this.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:24 AM

try fixing it with double sided sticky velcro. i use it for keeping up a blackout blind. bought it at a curtain/material shop
dave

Quick Reply: Road Angel I got 2!