UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ringing shifter and dodgy dealer

Old 07-04-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ringing shifter and dodgy dealer

I did the TSB to sort the ringing shifter problem over the weekend. I should have done it sooner because i've realised that despite the noise not occuring until well into vtec, a fair amount of engine and transmission noise has been coming up through the gearshift and into the cockpit.

The car is now quieter and vtec feels sounds smoother than ever before.

On the dealer front i was very annoyed to find that the plastic ring that holds the rubber gaiter down on the gearshift had been snapped and consequently was floating around. This wouldn't affect the gearshift particularly but does make a big difference to the noise. I know the dealer that must have broken it because since i have had the car it has had the clutch replaced twice by the same dealer (first time the clutch plate only on a recall, second time whole clutch kit becuase the release bearing was getting noisy).

Incidentily, the same dealer replaced my engine, which i have since found out was replaced twice. When i first went to collect the car after replacement it i rejected the car because the new engine was rattling. they told me it was a tappet problem. The reality was that they had failed to clean the inlet manifold properly and bits of the blow up had been injested into the new engine. So, a new engine was fitted while they fobbed me off about the delay by telling me that they were waiting for parts.

if it wasn't for the fact that i am still owed one free service by them because the failed to tell me the car was a parralel import at purchase i wouldn't be going back there.

To name and shame the dealer is Kettering Honda. Don't go near!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lower,Jul 4 2005, 02:25 PM
I did the TSB to sort the ringing shifter problem over the weekend. I should have done it sooner because i've realised that despite the noise not occuring until well into vtec, a fair amount of engine and transmission noise has been coming up through the gearshift and into the cockpit.

The car is now quieter and vtec feels sounds smoother than ever before.

On the dealer front i was very annoyed to find that the plastic ring that holds the rubber gaiter down on the gearshift had been snapped and consequently was floating around. This wouldn't affect the gearshift particularly but does make a big difference to the noise. I know the dealer that must have broken it because since i have had the car it has had the clutch replaced twice by the same dealer (first time the clutch plate only on a recall, second time whole clutch kit becuase the release bearing was getting noisy).

Incidentily, the same dealer replaced my engine, which i have since found out was replaced twice. When i first went to collect the car after replacement it i rejected the car because the new engine was rattling. they told me it was a tappet problem. The reality was that they had failed to clean the inlet manifold properly and bits of the blow up had been injested into the new engine. So, a new engine was fitted while they fobbed me off about the delay by telling me that they were waiting for parts.

if it wasn't for the fact that i am still owed one free service by them because the failed to tell me the car was a parralel import at purchase i wouldn't be going back there.

To name and shame the dealer is Kettering Honda. Don't go near!
Excuse my ignornace, but what's TSB? and can you elaborate on what you actually did - thanks

Andy
Old 07-04-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

tsb= technical service bulletin.

link to what i did is

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41390

hope that helps
Old 07-04-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i might have the same 'ringing' shifter problem - it comes in over about 7-8000 rpm - a very high pitched noise.. but i have never located the source. Is this the shifter problem that you are talking about?

I have asked 2 garages (honda) to fix this and neither has any clue what is wrong.

Tom
Old 07-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Take them the TSB

lower - i presume you filled in the DSS?