UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The result - diff oil nightmares...

Old 05-21-2009 | 11:23 AM

As above really.
The manualo quotes Hypoid gear oil #90 weight. Not even a multigrade.
It only needs to be GL4 grade, as most will be.

I grabbed a bottle of Castrol diff oil from Halfords, that's all that is required and all that was in there.

However, I have read a few reports of dealers filling with the ATF that they use in the rest of the ranges gearboxes.
Thats a definate no-no and will see the diff off.
Steve.
Old 05-21-2009 | 04:16 PM

i'm now very concerned the wrong diff oil has been used in my car..
i await to find out the response of what was used.
cheers for feedback btw

further to that i have been reading thread upon thread and have come to some stumblings which i believe to be:
mobil1, 75w90- thread relating to test between redline and mobil 1 seems that mobil 1 came out as normal wear for oil, so seems ok
redline shockproof - sounds as though it could be a bit heavy for daily driver
redline 75w90 - mixed reviews
castrol SAF XO - gets peoples votes
silkolene - seems to get good feedback with opie oils recommending highly and a few users i know have researched the diff oil scenario..

all i can say, it's a bit of a minefield for what is a fairly important decision!!
Old 05-22-2009 | 07:27 AM
20 Year Member

As long as you use "hypoid oil" in the diff and it is around the right viscosity (I think 90 weight is difficult to obtain and so 75/90 is probably a good choice) you won't have a problem. Buy whichever brand you fancy.

Concerning SAF XO I choose this really because BMW recommend it and they make a lot of RWD cars, unlike Honda. I've been using this a few years now and when I've changed the oil from SAF XO to SAF XO (as it were) there has been no discolouration of the oil or visible particles in suspension (over about 5,000 mile's running). Using the wrong oil will wreck the diff' in only a few miles and so I an vouch that this oil is OK.

Like I said above, there is an easy test to see if the right oil type has been used in your diff' - just smell it! Maybe you should change the diff' oil if you are worried and smell the old oil and check its appearance during the change. You should'nt see too much "blackness" in the oil, no metal particles and it should have a sulphurous smell to it. Drain the displaced oil into a container that you can use to keep it in to help as evidence to progress a claim against the garage if necessary, but if it passes the tests I am suggesting stop worrying.

To be honest the above is exactly what I did a few years ago when I purchased my S2K because the 27k service invoice didn't detail any EP90 oil. (The dealer must have forgotten to charge for it because my "tests" were passed ok.
Old 05-22-2009 | 10:02 AM

thanks mikdys..
going to change it out for peace of mind and see if my problem is resolved, i'll update as to the results..
Old 05-22-2009 | 12:46 PM

I dont suppose fancy diff oil will do any harm other than to your wallet.
But, remember a lot of BMW performance diffs are viscous LSDs and require a different oil

Steve.
Old 05-22-2009 | 04:13 PM

Im getting some Amsoil 75w-140 next week. WIN!
Old 05-23-2009 | 09:55 AM
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by thewiseboatmaker,May 22 2009, 06:02 PM
thanks mikdys..
going to change it out for peace of mind and see if my problem is resolved, i'll update as to the results..
If the oil you drain out is the correct "hypoid" oil I don't think changing it will make any difference to the transmission noise and you may need to look elsewhere for the noise or indeed check that it is different to the noise other similar cars make.

If the drained oil is the wrong sort you are going to need a new 'diff but I'm guessing that this won't be the case. Peace of mind is worth an oil change though IMO.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edit: SAF XO is "non-lsd" diff oil (and the correct sort for an S2000 - the lsd in this car operates through gear sets and not friction materials and so the oil does not need the "friction modifiers" found in "lsd diff oil"). The weight of SAF XO is about right also.
Old 05-26-2009 | 02:59 AM

honda have stated they used 'Honda EP80' for the diff oil change at the 27k service.
i have aired my concern with the noise, problem getting when hot and suggested the diff oil threads of simlar problems, jorge has agreed for my peace of mind and to see if problem persists to change oil out for one of my choosing..
so anyone know about this 'honda EP80'....??
Old 05-26-2009 | 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by thewiseboatmaker,May 26 2009, 11:59 AM
honda have stated they used 'Honda EP80' for the diff oil change at the 27k service.
so anyone know about this 'honda EP80'....??
I know my owners book says on page 196
SAE90, GL5 or 6 grade in the diff.

So, unless someone knows better they got it wrong.
Old 05-26-2009 | 10:20 AM
20 Year Member

EP stands for "extreme pressure" and notates a "hypoid type" oil, so that part is OK. The weight is wrong, compared to Honda's recommendations, as they specify 90 weight. This in itself won't have caused any damage and I doubt that changing the oil will make much difference to the "noise" you are hearing.

Castrol SAF XO is a 75-90 multigrade, and meets GL5 requirements, and so is within spec'. It is also sythetic based and will stand a little more use than a mineral based oil.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-737-castrol-sa...-lubricant.aspx

(The horror stories about the "wrong diff' oil" centre around the use of "non-hypoid oil" so you can probably breath a sigh of relief. Diff' problems manifest themselves in the early stages with "noise" but invariably the noise either changes, or dissappears, comparing "gentle acceleration" to "gentle over-run". To put your mind at rest try driving along a quiet, straight, road at a steady 50mph with the transmission at running temp. Then, accelerate gently and listen to the noise, and then lift off and see if it changes. Try this several times to make sure you are "tuned in to the noise". If the noise is constant it's most probably not the diff' making it. The question of "noise level" also arises, as these cars have a "whiney transmission" anyway. Go to an S2K meet and compare the noise with that other cars make. You never know it could just be a case of "they all do that sir"!)

Quick Reply: The result - diff oil nightmares...