UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The result - diff oil nightmares...

Old 05-19-2009 | 05:19 AM

Default The result - diff oil nightmares...

Ok i'm after some help here, i certainly don't have enough technical but i know there is a problem and i'd be interested in your opinions, as i'm sure there will be a few.

I've had the car now for about 5 months. (loving it by the way)
I like my cars to be in good order so i've set about doing few bits that it's needed.
(not much for an 04 with 23k on the clock)
Since i've been 'driving' it, (not sure it had much journeys out of the garage previously, i have had to get the hub nuts tightened at the rear from the start of a clicking noise... common thread from what i've read. Crown honda in Bushey, Jorge sorted this for me no problems. I have also undergone the 27k service a little early as i would be happier having had it done. (covering tappets and diff oil)

I approached Jorge at Crown Honda Bushey with the following problem after having owned the car for a while and getting in some proper journeys. I almost need to do a sound recording for the diagnostic but here goes..... when i use the car to go to work i do not have this problem (i.e not hot enough after a 20min journey). But when i have been on a run and had a nice 'drive' i get a noise ( i feel it comes from the rear ) from pulling away. I initially thought it to be only doing this when pulling away AND steering, however after a long journey the other day the car has done it reversing into my driveway, pulling out of a parking space turning or not. The noise i can only describe as a kind of low wine. It is not clunking or grinding. It doesn't feel as sharp as it normally is when the is happening, i.e. i don't feel you could get a crisp get away. Jorge from Crown has looked into this in form of a road test. I tried to have the car as hot as poss but it hadn't been on a proper long run.. after the road test it kind of left him scratching his head, and for me to report back if further worried, which i am! He suggested he would compare other S2000's that came into the workshop in the week i was away. This he did. Upon my return i quizzed him about it and he stated similar aged cars with similar low mileage also did this! So firstly has anyone else experienced this, as i believe it to be a problem not just a 'quirk' of the car.. even more so since taking it on a long drive the other day. I'm almost thinking the next resolve is to meet up with a local owner and let him drive my car when it is doing it to get their feedback. Let me know your thoughts as i'm scared it's diff related.

I'm also not happy with the oil. The previous owner had mobil 1 in it, fair enough, ran fairly quiet and didn't use a bean of oil, even with more of my 'driving'.
On the 27k service i actually let honda put in their recommend, shell helix 0w-30w almost purely cause i was too slack to have got something else sorted. Now i'm not happy with the noise and it is using oil, so i've opted to revert back to mobil1 0w-40w which in fairness Jorge is doing gratis. I'm reverting to mobil1 purely cause the price is a bargain at costco and this proved fine before.

Tappets... These were adjusted at the 27k service. Some were slightly out and Jorge has adjusted to bang centre of the thousands of a mm tolerance. Now i'm not sure if it is oil related or tappet related BUT they ARE noisier. I have compared my car to an older model and mine is now louder... i do understand that is the kind of engine but i just feel it is not right.. what should i do get them to check them again!??

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.
Phil.
Old 05-19-2009 | 10:26 AM

Get on a car mechanics evening class, you'll love it and so will your wallet mate.
Old 05-19-2009 | 10:37 AM

I get a low whine from the rear of the car only after a long drive and only when i'm making low speed, full lock (or thereabouts) turns.

This thread sounds similar:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=670366&st=0
Old 05-19-2009 | 11:39 AM

Yup I had this problem as per my thread and changing the oil in the diff resolved it straight away!
Old 05-19-2009 | 12:55 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Whining, groaning, clicking, clunking, whistling, whirring, rattling, humming, knocking - all everyday noises for S2000 drivers are they not?
Old 05-19-2009 | 02:54 PM

yup it is exactly as per your thread sara...
my concern here is that honda have just replaced the diff oil at the 27k service..! i'll have a chat with jorge at crown honda bushey as he is very good.. and see what he says..
has anyone used a non oem diff oil which is thought to be better...?
lol thanks for that m1bjr..
Old 05-20-2009 | 06:04 AM

anyone for suggestions re diff oil...?
Old 05-20-2009 | 03:29 PM

from searching further on the forums here.. can i assume that since the diff oil has been recently changed and i am experiencing a problem which everyone relates to the diff oil that perhaps a non superior diff oil has been usedm should i therefore try something like mobil 1 75w90??
Old 05-20-2009 | 10:07 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Use silkolene or Fuchs in most of my customers cars

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-850-silkolene-...c-gear-oil.aspx
Old 05-21-2009 | 06:22 AM
20 Year Member

There are a number of threads on here about dealers filling the diff' with the wrong type of oil causing the gear surfaces to say "good night".

Hopefully, this won't have happened to your car, but if the wrong oil type has been used the only fix is a new diff. It's no good changing the oil once the damage has been done.

The correct oil type is "hypoid" which has an oil film designed to resist high surface presssures. It's easy to check if the right type of oil has been used as it has a most disgusting "smell of sulphur". Remove the level plug and dip a finger in the oil and check the smell.

As for the specific "hypoid" oil to use everybody has a "snake oil theory" and will recommend their favourite brand, and a variation from the Honda spec' viscosity. My own personal vote is for Castrol SAF XO.

Quick Reply: The result - diff oil nightmares...