UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

removing front lower wishbone?

Old 04-22-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC rear camber is 2.19 and toe is just in. Those tie rods would improve that!

Yep rubbing occured when Chris and I did the same thing @34 mph round the small roundabout.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your rubbing could be because you sound like you are running soft compression. I remember adjusting the suspension to full soft compression, just to see the difference. All the way to back from silverstone on bumpy B roads my front bumper was determined to catch every undulation - the Nitrons have an excellent range of adjustment but with that comes responsibility to make sensible changes.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:28 AM

True - I'd better get fiddling!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Apr 22 2007, 09:52 PM
I'm planning the replacement rear toe arms, he suggested moving the rear lower wishbone pic up points as well. Though I'm not keen on that as it involves removing the adjuster plates and extending the slots. I'd say this weakens the sub frame .
Hmmm, a bit of research threw up some alternative solutions:

SPL ball joint adjuster

kit on ebay

or, if feeling rich and know which camber joint kit you need:

J's Racing camber kits

What I don't understand is the references in some threads regarding camber kits which refer to the adjustable control arms which change toe (like the Megan Racing arms I have) also giving a better range of camber adjustment. I need Chris to explain the limitations as clearly the adjustment was not sufficient to get my rear camber within UK spec.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 PM

Camber and toe are linked. I have this problem. As you try to pull the camber in it also acts in the control arm changing the toe. The idea of the adjustable control arm is to break this dependancy and make them both independent.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Apr 24 2007, 08:55 AM
Camber and toe are linked. I have this problem. As you try to pull the camber in it also acts in the control arm changing the toe. The idea of the adjustable control arm is to break this dependancy and make them both independent.
Yes, I appreciate that and that is why I'm just a little puzzled as to why my rear camber can't be pulled back in a little more. TBH, early indications are that the car handles great with its current camber set up.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:10 AM

I can't remember what my rear toe is. I'll hassle Chris for the report.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Apr 24 2007, 09:01 AM
Yes, I appreciate that and that is why I'm just a little puzzled as to why my rear camber can't be pulled back in a little more. TBH, early indications are that the car handles great with its current camber set up.
Does the control arm break the camber-toe dependency? I don't see how. If anything it gives you more adjustment to get the toe to what you want with the camber you want.

I'm suprised by that too.

I'm starting to wonder if the camber is too much to usefully use (and it's going to get worse with ARBs), and it's a bit too easy to lock up under braking, but I'll reserve judgement until I've been to a track.

My rear toe is 25 minutes each, and 2.5 degrees of negative camber. I had more toe in after my last DIY effort, which made it more planted than it is now, but I don't think the tyres would have lasted very long.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:39 AM

Does the control arm break the camber-toe dependency? I don't see how. If anything it gives you more adjustment
Haven't you just contradicted yourself Dave? It does break the dependancy and so does allow more adjustment.

I have the same amount of rear camber but I can't recall my toe (other than it was good!). You are right with the ease at which one can lock up the brakes.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Apr 24 2007, 09:39 AM
Haven't you just contradicted yourself Dave? It does break the dependancy and so does allow more adjustment.
Possibly. I meant that changing the camber still affects the toe, and vice-versa, but we have a larger range of adjustment on toe which means we're not going to run out of toe adjustment. But the range of camber adjustment is the same and clearly we can run out of that.

We need a way of making the whole suspension arm adjustable length.

I can't quite work out what those camber joints do.

I had 1 degree and 10 minutes negative camber at the front and 3 minutes of toe out on each at the front, and whatever the minimum caster was. I'm guessing that after you liked mine Chris gave you much the same setup as me?

Quick Reply: removing front lower wishbone?