UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Removal Advice

Old 01-17-2002, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal Advice

I am thinking about removing the front number plate surround. This would allow me to get a 'small' number plate - I know they are illegal - but the idea interests me.
I like the US where they do not have number plates on the front in some states. I don't like the surround, it detracts from the overall lines.
Has anyone removed the surround, how easy is it? I took the plates off, took out the bolts but could not get it off?
All help gratefully appriciated,

Anthony
Old 01-17-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Anthony

Pleased to hear you are pleased with your speaker upgrade.

With regard to the front number plate frame, I have a nagging suspicion that..............incredible as it may seem........you have to remove the front bumper to get the frame off
Old 01-17-2002, 12:16 PM

Hi Ian,

Have a feeling you are right, tried feeling with my hand but could not reach. May have to jack car up and have a look.

Anthony
Old 01-17-2002, 12:24 PM

yes i also am interested in doing this. in ireland yu do not get an opportunity to flute around with dlva type cute letters and numbers, all vcars in dublin for instance get 01 D xxxxx which are simply in sequence. the lord mayor always gets 01 D 1. 02 D 1#etc. the 01 . 02 stand for 2001, 2002 blah blah.
however you can reserve a particular set of the xxxxx digits, so you get a lot or porsche owners going for 02 D 911, they have to pay euro 317.43
for the privellige.
i got o1 D 52000, aND MY SON WHO IS A GRAPHICE ARTIST , SCANNED IN THE s2000 TYPEFACE
Old 01-17-2002, 12:33 PM

Yes I also am interested in doing this. In Ireland you do not get an opportunity to flute around with DLVA type cute letters and numbers, all cars in Dublin for instance get 01-D xxxxx, which are simply in sequence. The lord mayor always gets 01 D 1, 02 D 1 etc. The 01, 02 stand for 2001, 2002 blah blah.
However you can reserve a particular set of the xxxxx digits, so you get a lot or Porsche owners going for 02 D 911, they have to pay Euro 317.43 for the privilege.
I got 01 D 52000, and my son who is a graphic artist, scanned in the S2000 typeface so I can get my reg. plate in the same typeface as the car logo on the side.
Maybe it's cool; maybe it's sad. Whatever.
The reg plate guy says he can make up the plate using a .bmp or .psd type file, and this is the nice bit, in a reduced size on self adhesive vinyl, a la what we used to see on old E-type Jaguars. Which should look really nice on the front of the S2000?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:30 PM

If getting a smaller plate might get you in trouble, then might as well have no plate. It's illegal for me not to have a plate in front but I've opt for the risk option and decide to leave my front plate off.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:58 PM

Sorry to say, yes you do have to remove the front bumper because the surround has 4 bolts holding it on. Two of them are captive and can only be undone when the bumper is removed. It takes two people and about two hours of your time to remove and replace, quite easy. I filled the holes with small buttons painted the same colour as the car then had a sticky small plate made up. It looks so much meaner at the front, looks much cleaner. Yes i know it's illegal but i have had the car since Sept 2001 and never had trouble. Definatly worth it.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:48 PM

lol hidden bolts, amazing isn't it... I saw this myself at biker1's when he had his bumper off the car. It is worth noting that there are quite dangerous looking clips either side of the bumper that you need to pull it out of (after removing the requisite 2000 bolts etc.. Nigel can explain better but they looked pretty evil to me.

Chippo also has a stick on front plate that I had a look at down the Essex mini-meet. It does look pretty good, very race like.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dwrights
Sorry to say, yes you do have to remove the front bumper because the surround has 4 bolts holding it on. Two of them are captive and can only be undone when the bumper is removed. It takes two people and about two hours of your time to remove and replace, quite easy. I filled the holes with small buttons painted the same colour as the car then had a sticky small plate made up. It looks so much meaner at the front, looks much cleaner. Yes i know it's illegal but i have had the car since Sept 2001 and never had trouble. Definatly worth it.
Hi David,

If you put a smaller sticky plate directly onto the bumber, are the bolt holes at the extreams of the plate holder? do you need to fill the bolt holes? (I would rather leave them there for a return to stock later)

Any chance of a piccie of the finished result - I have been contemplating this for a little, but cant quite visualise the end result
Old 01-17-2002, 11:57 PM

You may want to check up on this, but I don'y think number plate SIZE is illegal. As long as it has the reflective background and appropriate font you should be ok.

I saw a shorter plate yesterday in fact, didn't look good. It was pretty closely cropped with little border space. I would suggest that you should have a noticeable border space to define the plate, perhaps an inch or so either end?

Quick Reply: Removal Advice