UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

redesign for 2004??

Old 04-02-2003, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's hard to break a habit Steve!

(Do you think that I should be asking for commission from the lads)
Old 04-02-2003, 01:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Zero to 60 - Thank you!
Old 04-02-2003, 02:40 AM

I have worked on Honda projects and would be amazed if they don't do some obvious visual changes and engine/suspension tweaks at the 5 year herdle (04MY = August ish 2003), not too sure when the S2K was first released in Japan but I tend to agree with James - opt for an excellent 2 to 3 year old and drop a private plate on it.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:52 AM

A valid dilemma If if helps I was in my Honda dealership yesterday and the saleman who drives an S2000 said he had heard nothing about any changes for 2004, but then he hadn't heard of the Mugen S2000 that some dealerships have sent circulars out for, so......................

Problem is if you as a buyer enquire about new models/tweaks etc of a salesman, they would be very unlikely to tell you of any changes that were further away than the end of the month, they just want to sell what they have, or am I just being cynical

Maybe phone Honda U.K. and try and get through to some marketing/customer services type bod who might be happy to give you (as a potential custmomer), an informed opinion on the subject. Don't forget to come back and tell us what you discover though
Old 04-02-2003, 03:04 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Valid comments guys - I have PM'd Blair Morrow with my and some of your thoughts.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:09 AM

Thanks AquilaEagle!
Old 04-02-2003, 03:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by BSM139

Have I been in a time capsule or something, or worse still, was I kidnapped by aliens ???
Hey.....there's nothing wrong with being kidnapped by aliens - dont knock it 'til you've tried it
Old 04-02-2003, 03:24 AM

I also agree with Steve: valid question; no need for derision. Nice job Aquila.

s2ook, part of your problem here will also be as follows: say you wait until August for an update. Say there IS an update. You'll then have to wait 6 months to take delivery. Conclusion: it's not a matter of 6 moths you are talking about but more like a year - absolute minimum (given that you can pick up an S with relatively little delay right now). Factor that into your decision criterea!

Old 04-02-2003, 03:30 AM

To be fair to them, the US guys get this a lot more than we do....

Anyway, back on topic.......

You can wait for another version, but what if it's not as good - I would like the pre '02 model because it's truer to Honda's original design, but have to have the '03 model because it's a company car. I find it is too prone to understeer on the track and want the front end to tuck in tighter. Unfortunately people keep complaining about oversteer and 'snappiness' so Honda messed about with the suspension, result - a less focussed track car.

So in August Honda bring out an S2000 with a bigger motor in it - the car now has the extra torque everyone rattles on about but throw the car into a tight corner and the extra weight in the front makes the car go straight on - they ruined the balance and betrayed the original concept......

Point is, no salesman will tell you about a new model until he's sure there are no more of the old model to shift. he wants your money today, not in August. I'd be surprised if Honda were any different.

If you like the car, get one. If it's not quite what you want, wait but remember what people really want is not always what they ask for.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:06 AM

Mark B

Interesting what you say re the `01 model and understeer. I have not found any understeer whatsoever I dread to think what speed you need to be doing to experience it

What kind of speed on a circuit like Donnington at the hairpin do you experience understeer

Quick Reply: redesign for 2004??