UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Red Light Offence

Old 05-10-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Light Offence

No, I wasn't caught curb crawling somewhere! Got flashed up in Nottingham back in March for jumping a red light. Technically I did jump it but it was more a "not stopping at the right point" jumping the lights type of thing. It was at night, dark, pissing down with rain. I was on my way out of town at a leisurely pace, not too sure where I was going so driving slowly and looking out for road signs. Anyway pulled into right hand lane to turn right at a major junction ahead. See that the lights are turning red so slow down but unfortunately am looking at the next set of lights 50 yards ahead. Just as I realise I have not stopped where I was meant to "flash flash" in the mirror as I come to a stop. Where I stopped wasn't in a dangerous position and was probably only 10 -15 yards past the lights. On the fixed penalty it states I was going 12mph so clearly I was not trying to jump the lights. In my defence one of the overhead traffic lights wasn't working and I guess my view of the other one was blocked out by the front pillar.

My point is "is it worth me even trying to explain this to someone in court and try to get off this" or just take my punishment, 3 points and
Old 05-10-2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Ricky B
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as you lot are a knowledgeable bunch!
Challenge it. Anything it takes to stop the bastards introducing these across the board penalties. Jumping lights *can* be dangerous, just as speeding can be dangerous. It's just important to remember that it isn't always dangerous and that sometimes it can be a simple mistake or, as in your case, caused by poor weather and faulty lights.

I *really* hope you get off and if you don't, what's the worst they can do? It's not like getting done for 90mph, where a challenge could risk a ban. Jumping lights is jumping lights I reckon, so it might be worth a go.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:28 PM

I agree with Daern.
Your mitigation sounds entirely reasonable, so get scrubbed up for the Magistrates and go along and present your statement calmly.
You might be very surprised.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:44 PM

I would go to court and challenge it if it does not cost you a lot more to go to court!

i.e. is it going to cost you more by having time off & travelling to the court! Add up time off work to attend & travel costs.

Magistrates are usually fair (Most i've come across anyway)
It's not like you have done a serious offence!
Old 05-10-2004, 01:32 PM

Challenge it.
Unless you are obnoxious in court you are unlikley to get any worse off than that.

Be polite say your willing to take your medicine but there were mitigating circumstances you would ask them to consider.
Be clear you aren't challenging there authority just asking them to take a balanced view in light of all the information.

If you put it that way they would be hard pushed to increase the penalty and may take your circumstances into account .

Remember Admiral tried to increase my premium by
Old 05-10-2004, 02:08 PM

Interesting. I was also done, had no idea I even went through a red light. Anyhow was in the area at exactly the time stated on the offence, so I said it was me. When I received the details of the offence I infringed the red 1.6 secs after it changed, travelling at a whopping 15mph. I just paid up cause the pic was gonna show me in the junction with the light on red, no defence. I was hardly going to say I never even saw the red, they would have me up for driving without due care!

Anyway if you stopped then I would go along all smart and say give you the benefit, because we can be sure we are all going to end up with points sooner or later with this bloody govt.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The insurance company will shaft you big time for a TS** offence.

My wife turned right at at no right turn , and it has been a pita for 4 years when changing insurers, generally they were loading it 25 %
Old 05-10-2004, 10:58 PM

Not sure, I've had a TS10 (jumping a red light) for a few years and hasn't affected my insurance in a big way.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:32 AM

Naw it doesn't affect that much. Its the speeding Ins Comp don't like.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gazzer
Naw it doesn't affect that much. Its the speeding Ins Comp don't like.
Ok , totally different findings for me , my co didnt alter at all when i got an SP30.

Quick Reply: Red Light Offence