UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Recall work - molybdenum & extra years warranty - fact or fiction?

Old 09-30-2002, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just had a PDF back from Honda stating that my car only needs the spark plugs. I collected the car from Motorpoint in Derby at the beginning of August and it was originally PDI'd in Holland in July 02.

Interesting point - The Supplying dealer was Verhagen Autos in Rotterdam, and the name on the inside of the service book (customer name) is a Mr P W Evans (Is
Old 09-30-2002, 03:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dterry
[B]Interesting point - The Supplying dealer was Verhagen Autos in Rotterdam, and the name on the inside of the service book (customer name) is a Mr P W Evans (Is
Old 09-30-2002, 10:02 AM

After a nervous day of waiting I picked my car up tonight from Lookers Honda Nottingham.I had the spark plugs and oil jet bolt recall performed.

It was the first they had done, hence my nerves, but they did it in a day and everything is ok all I can see is some white
gunk around the bottom of the engine. The car had been on a 6 mile drive to test everything was ok.

Molybdenum was added as my car had done less than 6,000 miles, being on 5,700, I got some.

I also have confirmation that I have the extra years warranty, so its not just a Honda U.K. thing.

Had a gentle drive home in the traffic, ready for some VTEC action early tomorrow morning

Good luck to everyone who is having their car done
Old 09-30-2002, 02:53 PM

My end of June 2002 model (VIN: ..1484) goes in to Clover Leaf Cars (Ascot) tomorrow (Tuesday) morning for Plugs and Oil Bolts.
When I booked it in, the Service Manager said he needed to check with Honda, since it was their first one. He phoned back to ask the milage, now 4100, and said he would need to order an oil additive because it was so new.
Hopefully, there will be no problems.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this completely unsolicited letter this morning. I've made no enquiies either with Honda U.K. or with my dealer. It confirms the extra years warranty on the engine.

Half a day for the work though? Shows the difference between Honda's expectations and reality!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:47 AM

Just a quick question, what is this "Molybdenum"? From what i gather it is an oil additive for low mileage cars. But what is it supposed to do?
Its just that my car is booked in for its oil jet bolt/ spark plug recall this weekend, its only done 2000 miles and im wondering if i should ask for it?
Excuse my ignorance
Many thanks
Steve
Old 10-01-2002, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by stevedrakeuk
Just a quick question, what is this "Molybdenum"? From what i gather it is an oil additive for low mileage cars. But what is it supposed to do?
Its just that my car is booked in for its oil jet bolt/ spark plug recall this weekend, its only done 2000 miles and im wondering if i should ask for it?
Excuse my ignorance
Many thanks
Steve
I was wondering too, no concern for me as my car has >30k on the clock but out of morbid curiosity! Did a search on the web and apparently it is a "transition metal" that has an entry in the periodic table!!! ...

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/mo.html

... I guess it is also the name of a product - perhaps that contains the metal?

- Frisky.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by stevedrakeuk
Excuse my ignorance
Many thanks
Steve
No harm in prompting them. I initially spoke to the customer service manager who hadn't heard of it Was almost wondering myself whether it was all folklore or not but he must have checked with Honda or else the service manager already knew about it because my car got some added, or at least that's what they told me
Old 10-01-2002, 05:54 AM

does any body know what its supposed to actually do?
Old 10-01-2002, 06:02 AM

Never mind, just found this on the US forum:

During the assembly in the factory, new engines are filled with engine oil plus an additive called molybdenum. This additive facilitates the running in of the engine and its components. If the engine being repaired has covered less than 6,000 miles, add a can of molybdenum additive. Adding molybdenum to an engine with more than 6,000 miles has no positive effect and therefore is not needed.

Quick Reply: Recall work - molybdenum & extra years warranty - fact or fiction?