UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Was this reasonable?

Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this reasonable?

I didn't make a fuss about this at the time, though I thought they could have been a bit more helpful. I'm just curious what people think.

I was in Manchester (I live in Sussex), just starting my journey home when the engine management light came on.

I didn't know at the time (I do now!) that it's not a particularly major problem providing the car is driving normally, but I knew having passed it before that there was a major Honda dealership just to the south of the city on the way out.

So I was driving past, and dived in, went in to see them to ask if there was any chance they could take a look at it. The guy in the service centre point blank refused saying they were busy. I asked if there was any way they could plug the diagnostic tools in just to make sure it was nothing serious, since it would only take a few minutes and I had a 250 mile drive ahead of me. He then got quite rude (this bit did annoy me), saying that it wasn't a quick job and basically inviting me to leave.

Their attitude did annoy me far more than the refusal. Anyway, I called the Honda care line, and they went through everything saying they were happy to come out, but advising me that it was probably OK, and I should stop if the car started misbehaving. They were quite helpful actually.

As it turned out, it was a misfiring spark plug, so no major drama, but the Brighton Honda lot who I was telling them the story seemed a bit surprised the dealership didn't offer the slightest help.

I should specify that I absolutely didn't rant and rave, I was just someone a bit concerned hoping for some help and I didn't get it.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:11 AM

Customer service appears shat from what you have said

If the dealership was too busy he should at least have suggested contacting Honda Care,

The AA can plug in a fault finder

Assuming your car is under warranty
Old 11-01-2008, 04:19 AM

No, he didn't. I had the number in the car and so rang them myself.

I know full well the dealership didn't have to do anything, but it was the attitude that irritated me. Maybe if I'd been female it might have been different, but it was the fact that I was about to embark on a long drive that made me think they could have been a bit more helpful.

Also, his claim that plugging in the diagnostic fault finder wasn't a quick job - is that true? Again, I know he didn't have to help, but it didn't strike me as great customer service, and knowing my local dealership I'm absolutely certain that they would have done in the same position, just for customer peace of mind.

I know it isn't a huge issue, of course.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That particular dealership is not well thought of up here
Most of us avoid it.
Diagnostic plug in is 2 minutes!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very poor customer service

Bharat
Old 11-01-2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by mikey k,Nov 1 2008, 12:25 PM
That particular dealership is not well thought of up here
Most of us avoid it.
Diagnostic plug in is 2 minutes!
That's what I thought. Cheers.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:51 AM

Received 254 Likes on 219 Posts

I'd send a letter to the GM of the branch, just explaining the event and ask for his comments, nothing will be done about twats unless the top man knows about it.?
Old 11-01-2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by martin j,Nov 1 2008, 03:51 PM
I'd send a letter to the GM of the branch, just explaining the event and ask for his comments, nothing will be done about twats unless the top man knows about it.?
The top man of my local Honda dealership is a twat himself

Hence my (unrelated) complaint has been sent to the company director of the group
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You could have gone to any half baked car dealer, not necessarily Honda.
Almost all will have OBD2 diagnostics, even the backstreet lads.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Name and shame the dealer.. thats wank service..

Quick Reply: Was this reasonable?